PDA

View Full Version : corals gone

Montana
06-10-2006, 03:32 PM
:biggrin: I need some advice.
I had a 72 gal tank and all my corals were doing great. I started up a 150 with cured live rock. I ran the tank for 2 weeks with no fish just live rock, then added 2 clowns, they were fine 2 weeks after that i added all my fish , live rock and corals from my 72. then it started my clam died in 2 days then my leather,ricordia zoos and so on , goniapora and starpolyp the only thing left. all my fish are fine,nitrates .1 ph8.3,ammonia0, cal460,dkh12.
all ro water the only thing i can think of is phosphates because of the algae bloom i had 2 weeks prior to adding the coral; but i did a 10% water change and added carbon and chemi pure phosguard.all my levels are thwe same in this tank as the other tank i even used about 40% of the water from the 72 ,

any ideas would be appreciated:biggrin:

atcguy
06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
all that and your tank was how old? 2-3 weeks. Way to early. Many wait months before adding any livestock let alone Fish and coral. You have to take it slow in this hobby!!

Diana
06-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree, even if you were transferring over an established tank, you still made a mistake putting EVERYTHING in at once. I would have done it a little slower... a few corals at a time.

;)
-Diana

Sebae
06-11-2006, 04:44 AM
When I have moved things from one tank to another , I also transfer all the water and substrate. ie. 75g to 150g would be the same as doing a 50% water change. If the water is to cloudy ,I'll leave the fish in a smaller tank overnite and any corals I might be worried about.You can introduce new rock after it has cured .I have done this several times without any problems.

Razz
06-11-2006, 05:09 AM
I just went through a major move, the tank overfloed and a small electrical fire occurred. But with saving about 50 % of the original water and help fom a great friend we moved the tank and corrals that were doing ok and are doing ok, I think the secret is to keep as much of the original tank water as possible and things should be ok.

KrazyKuch
06-11-2006, 07:10 AM
You don't need to do a little at a time......I went from my 77G to my 230G...just used all my water from the 77 and put it in the 230 then through all my corals and fish in at the same time....lost nothing!!!

Are the lights different then the previous.....higher wattage, different spectrum.......they could have died do to shock from an increase in light!!!