PDA

View Full Version : SWC order

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 06:40 PM
I have to order a bottle of DT's, since I'm out. I see that SWC has some insane specials though, so I put the offer out to pool an order with my DT's. He has some $15 clams, some $15 SPS frags (you need to buy minimum 10 frags though ... too much for me!)

Let me know if interested. I am particularly broke right now so I have to restrain myself, but I really do need a bottle of DT's.

Mitch, still want some baby clams??

[ 04 July 2002, 14:46: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Canadian Man
07-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Tony is the $15.00 the american price or peso price.
I have never tried DT'S so I would be in for a bottle either way.

wouldnt minde a $15 clam as well.

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 07:13 PM
He's in Winnipeg, so yep it's in our Canadian Peso currency.

I'll forward you his July specials email that I got..

PS. YGM.. smile.gif

[ 04 July 2002, 15:21: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Canadian Man
07-04-2002, 07:37 PM
Oh I just checked my mail and i got the mail from him as well.

Tau2301
07-05-2002, 12:13 AM
I could be interested in Fighting conche or two.

Do you think we could conclude this order before the third week of July?

Delphinus
07-05-2002, 12:24 AM
I need my DT's pretty much right away. I'm thinking this weekend, actually, or thereabouts (mmmmmmmaybe early next next week but not really any later than that).

If the timing is not good, I can go ahead and ask Jayson to mail me the DT's via priority post, and we can organize a group order separate from that...

MitchM
07-05-2002, 10:39 AM
2 clams and 1 bottle of DT's, please.... :D

Let me know when you're ordering, and I'll call Jayson and pay.

Thanks Tony.

Mitch :D

Tau2301
07-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Since this is also a live order I will take two of the fighting Conches.

Canadian Man
07-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Tony i will get 1bottle of dt's as well and a clam, the $15 one. I can call and pay as well or just pay you when they arrive.
let me know too.
thanks.

spikehs
07-06-2002, 06:03 PM
is no one going in on the 10frags deal? I figured it might be a good way to get me started, nice captive raised ones...

Troy F
07-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi Tony, could you post Jayson's link for me. I'd like to try an order with him.

Tau2301
07-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Tony, Monday delivery is good for me. I am home all day. Can I pay you when I pickup my stuff?

Will the order come in late Monday afternoon? I can come with you or pick it up if you want.

Canadian Man
07-06-2002, 07:40 PM
Monday is great for me as well. I am home as well other than going to stampeed in eve. home all day.
Kim you should come over and check out the overflow!

Tau2301
07-06-2002, 09:35 PM
What is the best time for you Jon.

MitchM
07-07-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks Tony! I'll bring you the cash when I come pick up. smile.gif I can pay for my share of the shipping that way, too.

Mitch

[ 06 July 2002, 21:06: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Canadian Man
07-07-2002, 03:23 AM
Kim, I have a bike ride planned for Monday morning between 10 to 1 ish and anytime after that would be great.
Tony, what time does the shipment usually arrive?
Reason i ask is i am going stampeeding in the evening.
Kim give me a call on monday before you plan on comming or i will call you when i get home.

Delphinus
07-07-2002, 04:49 AM
I have put the order in.

I have for Jon:
- 1 $15 clam
- 1 DT's (I think the price is $40 on this, but not sure)

Mitch:
- 2 $15 clams
- 1 DT's

Kim:
- 2 fighting conches

Did I miss anything?

As for payment. Whatever you guys feel is easiest. Basically at the moment I'm on the hook for paying for everything... I've told Jayson that I'll pay for the it and collect from you when the stuff arrives. Now ... this is OK with me, but if you prefer to pay Jayson directly, that's OK too, I won't stop you. ;) If Jayson tells me you've paid for your stuff, I won't collect again :D

BTW, I think we can aim for a Monday delivery. Is that cool with everyone? Let me know.

Delphinus
07-07-2002, 04:54 AM
PS. I'm getting for a bottle of DT's, an emerald crab, and ..... I think I'm going to try me one of these fighting conches. They seem not so easy to come by sometimes. I was tempted to try some spaghetti worms, but this is going to break my piggy bank as it is. Worms for another time I think.

I just hope they don't turn out to be the same as them poisonous conches ... :D

Tau2301
07-07-2002, 01:17 PM
I have some running around to do in the morning so that works for me. I would join you for the bike ride, but I don't think my Butt could stand a three hour ride.

Jayson usually sends his stuff out in the morning. I experiance is that it arrives about 15:30 Calgary time.

Mybe it will be up to us to pick up the shipment?

Canadian Man
07-07-2002, 02:10 PM
where does one pick the shipment up from?
I have never ordered anything live from anyplace yet which is why i ask.

[ 07 July 2002, 10:10: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Delphinus
07-07-2002, 02:30 PM
At the airport, Air Canada cargo building.

I can pick it up, I'm happy to make the drive up there (what can I say, I like looking at planes ... :rolleyes: )

I can ask Jayson to ensure it comes on an earlier flight, that way it sounds like we'll all be available to divvy up when it all arrives.

Does anyone besides me want to take up Sean's offer of SPS frags? I would like SPS frags but I can only take 2 or 3. Finances dictate I can go no further (am probably overextending as it is ... sigh).

Troy, Jayson's URL is www.saltwaterconnection.com (http://www.saltwaterconnection.com)

Canadian Man
07-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Tony, do you think it will be at your house before 2 to 3 ish or will it be later.
I ask because i have to meet kate down town at 4:30 to 5:00 pm

spikehs
07-07-2002, 02:49 PM
i'd be in for 2, do we get to pick the colors? if we cant get it together, no worries, we'll do it next time.

Delphinus
07-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Sean, I am not sure. Better ask Jayson.

You know what, one alternative/option is to ask Jayson if he'd consider selling just one or two frags. Obviously, the price will likely not be the "$15 per" but perhaps it would only be nominally more.

Jon, again, I'm not sure. The trick to find out is to look up Air Canada's schedule on the web and find out what flights there are that day from Winnipeg to Calgary, and what their arrival times are.

What about other days, is Monday really the best day? What about Tuesday? Does that work any better for anyone?

Canadian Man
07-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Monday is definitley the best cause my next day off is friday and I work late all this week.
If I am a little late for stampeeding it's ok.

spikehs
07-07-2002, 06:30 PM
I just emailed jayson about the frags here is what he told me:

The frags are $18.00 per if you buy less than 10. I will pick the frags to send. They are purple/pink/green and some with yellow polyps. The frags are aprox 1.5 inches

so Tony, can you put me in for 2(diff colors if possible) even if we dont get 10 (which it looks like we wont). As for payment, i can pay him or you, whichever is easiest (maybe since i'll have to pay you for shipping as well - should i just pay you?)

I get off of work at 4:30, if i came after that would that be alright?

Thanks,

Sean

[ 07 July 2002, 14:31: Message edited by: spikehs ]

Tau2301
07-07-2002, 07:04 PM
I vote for Monday.

Troy F
07-08-2002, 04:47 AM
Thanks Tony. smile.gif

Seriak
07-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Man I missed out. I never go on the computer on the weekends. I would deffinately have ordered some Fighting Conchs. Hey, how long would you guys wait to put frags and clams into a new tank. My tank is going on one month now.

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey Seriak (or anyone else), you have a couple hours to get ahold of Jayson and sneak something onto this shipment. Better hurry though!

However, at one month old I definitely wouldn't be considering any clams or corals. If your levels are OK you could probably consider cleanup crew though.

I would ask Jayson (or perhaps a post in the reef forum) about fighting conches into a one-month old system. I myself know nothing of these guys, how sensitive they are, etc. so I can't offer any useful advice. (Sorry!)

[ 08 July 2002, 07:55: Message edited by: delphinus ]

spikehs
07-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Tony,

I ordered myself 2 frags in the shipment (I already paid for them), are we still picking up the items from your house? What time do you expect them to arrive? I'll call sometime later this afternoon to confirm the details, i guess.....

Sean

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Looking at the AC webpage I see there is a flight arriving at 1:30 the next one is 5:20. The next ones at 6:44 and 9:47. It always takes about a half hour to unload the cargo off the plane.

At this point I don't know what flight Jayson will be able to get. If he is to get the flight which arrives at 1:30 he only has about an hour at this point to catch that one. I have a sinking feeling it will be the 5:20 one.

AJ_77
07-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Seriak:
Man I missed out. I never go on the computer on the weekends. I would deffinately have ordered some Fighting Conchs. Hey, how long would you guys wait to put frags and clams into a new tank. My tank is going on one month now.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Before I started up my tank 4 months ago, I read a few posts that advocated letting the tank go 6 months before adding any livestock. At first that was my intention, but of course I started adding stock much sooner.

I now think that it was very good advice for a new tank. Just my 2 cents.

Alan

Seriak
07-08-2002, 02:19 PM
6 months!!! I am likely to go crazy before that happens. I guess I should contain my agony and do what is best for my system!

AJ_77
07-08-2002, 02:45 PM
It does seem like torture, doesn't it? I wish I'd had the patience to do it, though. Although there are people who've done it quickly, they typically have sand, rock and even water from an established tank. Six months seems the minimum time recommended for the basic algae cycles and water stability, and you can certainly support a healthy "cleaner crew" for months before corals and fish arrive. Then you'll have a relatively established environment for them to come into. This is a huge bonus, believe me. Even though a pair of clowns and a softie will do OK at a month or two, it's not the best thing for any creature. The longer, the better, IMO.

It's also a chance to get familiar with your own system - how it responds to feedings, different equipment, algae blooms, lighting schedules, etc, etc... I think it's a great thing if you're familiar with the ins and outs of your little microcosm before you start dropping animals in. Again, I can't say I did the right thing - I'm saying it would have been a wiser route for me.

Cheers and good luck. Hope you have more patience than me. (BTW, I haven't had a large-scale disaster, but I have a green-water/phytoplankton farm instead of the lovely tank that was beginning to develop. Some people have hair algae or bryopsis or other algae plagues that vex them - I have lime-green water you can't see through.)

Alan

[ 08 July 2002, 10:47: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Tau2301
07-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Tony, do you know which flight it will be?

I am hoping that my visit at Jon's home will coincide with the arrival of the order. Not that you live that far away.

Seriak
07-08-2002, 05:02 PM
From what I can gather, a month after the tank has fully cycled it is safe to start adding one or two hardier fish. According to RC. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of fish? I am thinking a couple of green chromis!

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Thread is getting a little eclectic, whew!

Kim, the flight is due in at 5:20. This means livestock in our hands no sooner than 6:30 - 7:00 (half an hour to unload the plane, half an hour to drive home, etc.)

Six months of age is the number I like to throw out as a measure of when a tank hits "maturity" (I guess the equivalent of reef tank "puberty"??? :eek: ). That does not always mean that things can't be put in the tank sooner than six months, just that up until that point, things tend to swing from one extreme to the other rather quickly. A good "balance" takes about 6 months IME/IMO, and certainly, there are many things that should not be attempted in an unbalanced, not-yet-mature tank, but the flip side of the coin is that six months is an awfully long time to wait with a tank with nothing in it to look at. There are some things that will do just fine after the initial ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle is complete (some fish, for example, hermit crabs and other cleanup crew) and those are the things you can start looking at within a few weeks, or after the first month, or so. But you have to watch your levels, if you have any ammonia or nitrite it of course will be best to wait until those are undetectable before plopping anything in. Snails in particular, I have found through my own experience, tend to be rather sensitive in an immature tank, and they'll drop like flies in such a situation. This is all just my $0.02 of course, and since every system is a little different, YMMV.

MitchM
07-08-2002, 07:54 PM
My guidelines for water cycling quality issues are:
New tank with cured live rock and 50/50 old water/new water and bare bottom is 2 weeks
New tank with uncured live rock and the same is 4 weeks
New tank with uncured live rock and all new water with a bare bottom is 8 weeks.
ANY of the above set-ups WITH a DSB is 4 MONTHS.
These times are my minimums and you must test before adding critters, and don't add them all at once.
Live rock and a piece of krill is all that is needed to cycle a tank.

It's just not worth rushing if something winds up dying as a result of impatience.

If you want to see some life in your new tank with live rock,......get a flashlight with a red lens and explore it during lights out!.......it's pretty cool!

Mitch :D

[ 08 July 2002, 15:57: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Seriak
07-08-2002, 08:01 PM
I will take all your advice into account. My tank was cycled with live fully cured rock with all new water. I didn't see that on your list though.

How do you tell if she's a witch?

You burn her! Or see if she weighs the same as a duck. Whatever works!

MitchM
07-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Seriak:

You burn her! Or see if she weighs the same as a duck. Whatever works!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bingo!
:D

Give it a few weeks. test your water and get a flashlight! I did that, and it peaked my interest enough so that I wound up taking an invertebrate and zoology course.

Reef tanks are cool! :cool: :D

Mitch

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 08:27 PM
All new water, obviously, will make things take longer as bacteria needs to establish itself. However, if you're prepared to wait four months, I doubt you're really going to notice a huge difference at that point either way.

Generally speaking, I find the "amount of time" guidelines to be just that (guidelines). The parameters are the ultimate indicator.

You need to question your parameters though, if you see things happen that seem to be outside those guidelines. A zero nitrate reading, for example, does not indicate a tank has a complete NO3 to N2 cycle going. It could be that the nitrates are being consumed by something (caulerpa, for example -- that is why sporalation or "going sexual" is not always good for a tank -- it can take your tank from 0ppm NO3 to 60ppm NO3 in a matter of hours ... shocking the heck out of tank inhabitants.. been there, done that...)

And as I've discovered, a tank can be as old as two years and not have a proper NO3 to N2 cycle going. :mad: (Case in point, my carpet anemone tank. Which is currently sitting at 40ppm.. :eek: )

[ 08 July 2002, 16:28: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 04:12 AM
6 MONTHS :eek:

I hade a pair of clown's in my tank after 10 days and a leather coral in after 2 weeks.
Both are still doing extremely well.
I did have cured live rock though, so my cycle took 4 days total.

AJ_77
07-09-2002, 04:19 AM
Jon, after all your reading and research, are you saying that your experience should be considered typical?

:confused:

More like unusual, I should think?

Canadian Man
07-09-2002, 04:32 AM
Yes you are correct with the not typical experience I had.
I too wish I had the patience to wait 6 months to add stuff but, alas, I do not.

I don't recomend doing what I did.
I definitley would not put any sensitive/needy corals in for quite some time.

On the flip side of my response, you have to add some things. That's what I consider to be a fun part of the hobby and to me it keeps things interesting.

[ 08 July 2002, 12:34: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]