PDA

View Full Version : Help! Fish disease?

jennytheleopardgrouper
06-09-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi everyone, I've been uber-busy and haven't posted in ages. However, I need some advise. My squarespot anthias, which has always been very friendly and outgoing, started hiding and not eating a week ago. I finally caught him and checked him out and he's got a huge swollen eye. Now I just realised that my Coral Beauty is hiding, and has holes in his tail. And since this morning, my Sailfin Tang seems to be missing, no where to be seen. I assume this is a disease. Any thoughts on treatments? I have a quarantine tank I can treat the affected fish in. There have been no new additions for months. The only problem in the recent past (although pretty bad), was that I accidently turned my heater off 2 weeks ago. The tank got down to 75. I lost my blue star a couple days ago, which I assume was due to this. My baby regal tang has also been a little terror lately, chasing all dark or similar coloured fish.
I did 2 water changes this and last week in case there was some sort of contamination, but this didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DEAD_BY_DAWN
06-09-2006, 02:57 AM
please post All test results.

Rondelet
06-09-2006, 06:17 AM
I agree, posting your water test results would be informative. Popeye and "holes" which may be ulcers, are usually caused by bacterial infections. Could be related to the temperature drop as this would stress the fish. But it may have also crashed your nitrifying bacteria, which may have caused an ammonia spike. This would definitely stress your fish, kill your starfish and cause signs related to ammonia burn (aka uclers and ratty fins) and popeye.

Without seeing your water parameters it's hard to say what is going on. I would keep up with the water changes and move affected fish to a quarantine tank. You could try a course of Maracyn-II at double the dose. If it was me, and if the fish were eating, I would go for an oral approach which is much more efficacious than topical treatments. You could try either Jungle's Anti-bacterial food - which uses a combination of several sulphonamides, or Seachem's Focus + any of Sulfathiazole/Kanaplex/Neoplex products, or Aquarium Products' Gel-Tek Ulta Cure BX.

Hope this helps.