PDA

View Full Version : My fish bites!

Ruth
06-08-2006, 01:31 AM
I have 2 angel fish, a Naso tang and Elvis the Moorish Idol in my 190. I feed a butter clam a day (for the angels but Elvis is not about to be left out of that) as well as a sheet of Nori which turns into a free for all that the Gold Stripe Maroon often joins in with the rest on. Every time I put either one in the tank I have one Angel that tries to bit my hand every chance he gets. I have rescued more than one sheet of nori that was floating around the tank because I got bit before I could attach it to the magnet I use to secure it. Anyone else have a biting fish? Do they make fish muzzles?JK Just sounding off 'cause I just got bit and it bugs me!:onfire:

Tom R
06-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Hi Ruth

I can feed my large Majestic by hand. He comes right to my hands during feeding to take his food. He has never bit me, however I am sure if I put my hand in without any food at dinner time he may just come over and bite me in discussed you know Angel Attitude.

Tom R

phreezee
06-08-2006, 02:20 AM
I got bit by my Clown Trigger 3 times the first few days I had him. Then I started training it. Stick your hand in and when he comes close, dart your hand at him. Eventually mine learned and never bit me again. Don't know if it works with Angels but worth a shot.

christyf5
06-08-2006, 02:25 AM
I had a royal gramma that used to bite me all the time. He never learned the hand thing. He'd just go hide until I started focusing on whatever I was working on, then blammo! he'd bite me again. Little bugger.

You could always do the PVC on a string route. I have a piece of 1.5" PVC that I have attached to a string outside the tank. I use a rubberband to hold the nori on. I get it all assembled adn then put it in the tank. Then take the PVC out when they're done. I have a feeling if I was attaching the nori inside the tank I'd end up with bitten hands too. Its like a feeding frenzy when the nori is introduced :razz:

marie
06-08-2006, 03:09 AM
My clarki clown bites me all the time and then runs behind the rocks with the nori so I can't reach it :rolleyes: . I tried flicking her with my fingers but flicking underwater isn't very effective and I think my clown thought I was petting her, she didn't even have the grace to look remorseful :lol:

Ruth
06-08-2006, 03:57 AM
362Here is a picture of the culprit - maybe I should call him fang:lol:

Ruth
06-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Well that didn't work - man I have a problem with pictures!

Ruth
06-08-2006, 04:58 AM
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/?action=view&current=IMG_3455.jpg

Funky_Fish14
06-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Here ya' go Ruth! Pretty fish! Too bad its fiesty!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/IMG_3455.jpg

My cinnamon clown tried to bite me once, and so did my bicolor dottyback, but only once each. Im sure it can be rather suprising being bit out of nowhere with your hand in a 'foreign land', per say! Sure scared me even though my clown just barely fits 1.5"!

Chris

EmilyB
06-08-2006, 06:14 AM
My Trigger eats out of my hand and I am always so surprised how gentle he is. Then we have my female maroon. She draws blood on a regular basis. People who know her have to go get their own frags if the coral is near her. :lol:

muck
06-08-2006, 06:23 AM
My Trigger eats out of my hand and I am always so surprised how gentle he is. Then we have my female maroon. She draws blood on a regular basis. People who know her have to go get their own frags if the coral is near her. :lol:

hehe.. I'll never forget when I brought Russ over to your place the first time.. :lol: :lol:

Ruth
06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I have 2 Maroon clowns - one in my 190 and one in my 230 - they have to live apart because they just couldn't get along. For a long time the one in my 230 used to bite me every time I put my hand in her end of the tank. It hurt! For some reason (nothing to do with me flicking her - hard) she has stopped and although you can tell she is ****ed if you get too close to the anthelia she hosts in she doesn't bite any more.

i have crabs
06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
i have 2 small clowns that chase me down and bite me nonstop and in another tank i have a very large domino damsil that wants to get me real bad.

DanG
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
my maroon clown has nipped at me several times whenever I come too close to his anemone, but he won't bite when I'm feeding.

GMGQ
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
My Bluethroat Trigger bites me :S So freaky. He usually goes for this silver ring I have on my finger, which luckily doesnt hurt. But sometimes he'll go for my knuckle -- and that's FREAKY! Because you hear that *SNAP* they have. One time it actually got ahold of the skin on my knuckle, and he thrashed a little bit. No permanent damage though, but freaky nonetheless :S

I've tried to scare it away with my hand, but it hasnt learned, and will slowly come up to me and try to bite me again.