PDA

View Full Version : I'm gone on holidays tommorow morn.

Canadian Man
06-24-2002, 12:36 AM
Well everyone, I am leaving monday morn for a week to BC and going to make a stop in the states to clean walmart out of pickling lime :D
See you all in a week and dont do anything drastic without me tongue.gif

Delphinus
06-24-2002, 01:45 AM
Who's doing your tank-sitting, man?? I was hoping you'd ask me, then I wasn't going to feel too bad about asking you when I go later at the end of July ;)

Have a good trip. What parts of BC will you be visiting?

Bob I
06-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Speaking of holidays. On July 17th, I am on holidays for a month. Preliminary discussions with Alan have revealed that he will tank sit for me. I am hoping I can get the joint cleaned up a bit before then. If Alan does not do it for me I will have to drive 240 Kilometers weekly to do the maintenance. That is one of the downsides of being single.
Bob

AJ_77
06-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Sounds good Bob - your systems seem pretty much low-maintenance. I hope nothing changes in the next month.

I'd like to bring your food over tonight, and a pair of Green Severums if you're still willing. I am leaving for a week's holidays this weekend and the FW tank is not automated.

Sometime after dinner tonight, then?

Alan

[ 24 June 2002, 10:27: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Bob I
06-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Well my research shows that South American cichlids are mean. Hope they do not eat my Angles (Angels)

AJ_77
06-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Well, Bob, I can hold onto them for awhile yet. Not to worry.

Alan

Bob I
06-24-2002, 11:24 PM
It is entirely up to you. As I said the tank is doing fine, and I have absolutely no experience with Severums. If they must move you can put them in my tank. I do want you to look at my Reef. That new bulb appears to be getting duller at a rapid pace.
Bob

[ 24 June 2002, 19:26: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

AJ_77
06-25-2002, 02:19 AM
(To be honest Bob, that bulb WAS less impressive the last time I saw it. I didn't want to say much though, figured you might feel bad enough already...)

Have you contacted AJ yet regarding the bulb? I'm curious as to whether you're in good company, or perhaps the owner of a bad bulb maybe...

Tony? You're the MH guy, any input here?

Alan

[ 24 June 2002, 22:20: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
06-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Never tried nor knew anyone before Bob who tried these Xanium bulbs, so don't know. They are kind of new, so there's not much record of experience out there. Unfortunately I suppose there is a risk when trying a new product.

Not to knock AJ in any way, but we don't see J&L and SWC selling these bulbs, nor many places in the U.S. selling them. Is this because they are new, or is this because there is skepticism out there regarding this brand?

Whatever the case. It shouldn't be noticeably less intense by now. Even on my 14000K bulbs that I started out initially, whose lifespan I WAS disappointed with, lasted longer than this. They lasted about 8 months before starting to look a little less bright. (There was no question they were spent after 8 months; I grew copious amounts of hair algae under them after 8 months, couldn't stop it for love nor money, but mysteriously stopped and disappeared within a week of the new bulbs being put in.) But in this case. The bulb is what, 3 months old, tops? There's no way that's acceptable.

I would consider approaching AJ and asking if anyone else is noticing this. If they are then the brand is crap. If they aren't, then something is amiss with this bulb. See if he'll work with you maybe.

How hot does the bulb get in its enclosure? I wonder if you might be further ahead to somehow retrofit a small DC fan in there to keep the bulb from getting too hot.

Have you posted about your experiences on the other boards? I would particularly go to RC, because of the broad coverage there, and to aquariumpros.ca, since that's AJ's board.

Good luck!

Bob I
06-25-2002, 12:07 PM
I have contacted AJ, and Brian at Hellolights. So things are underway. There is 1/4 inch difference in height between the main tank and the refugium, or I would already have put the PC light back. I will probably find a way, and put it back on, and say goodbye to MH for now. :( I have found it funny that that bulb grown no algae of any kind. The corals and polyps are fine, but I only have soft corals and polyps. I am not planning any hard stuff, so the PC light will be adequate.

BTW Alan, I get home at around sevenish until Thursday. You may bring the food, and fish if you want.

Canadian Man
06-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Well gentleman i am back, TONY i wish i did ask you to look after my tank. no deaths but top off wasnt working proper i guess and alot of kalk got added to my tank very fast. who knows, i didnt want to impose but next time i definatley will, Please ask me if you want to look after your tanks. I know better now to ask someone who knows what they are doing. smile.gif

Tau2301
07-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey Jon, I bet that that top off device worked fine until you went on holidays.

Reefers should make up a new Murfy's Law.

"The days gone are porportional to the things that do go wrong." :D

Hope the over dose didn't affect your tank to badly.

Canadian Man
07-02-2002, 04:00 AM
Of course, it worked fine for 2 months and BAM!

No, everything coral wise and fish wise is fine but my flame scalop didnt make the kalk/ph increase. :( I am glad everything else did though smile.gif