PDA

View Full Version : Lighting 120g, limited Budget

kwirky
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a budget of $500 for my lighting, and there's oh so many options available for either MH or VHO.

My tank's 48x24x24, and the 24" depth is making it harder to make my purchase decision. I've realized AFTER i built my tank that if I had chosen a tank 18" deep, lighting wouldn't have been as much of an issue...

Anyways, I'm thinking of using either a VHO setup, and purchasing reflectors/mogul plugs to make my hood "ready" for MH, or going with pure MH.

If I went VHO, I don't think an anemone, or any sandbed corals would do that great.

I can go with two Venture 250w 10000k bulbs (they'll run at about 14000k when horizontal), and the animals would do a lot better, but I'd have no method of "dawn-dusk" timing.

Would running just MH stress the animals when they turn on?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Look for a used set up. I'm sure you could get a decent 4' unit with dual MH (preferably 250w) & either NO or VHO actinics.

Anthony

spikehs
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I got a dual 400w retro fit kit from http://www.aquariumlight.com/ for under $400.... can't remember the exact total. A pretty good deal i think.

kwirky
06-06-2006, 05:02 AM
thanks for the help guys. I'll be going with a 10k dual 250w HQI setup, supplemented by NO actinics for dawn/dusk transition. I'm probably gonna get two PFO Mini HQI pendants with PFO HQI ballasts, and XM 10000k bulbs. I priced out ballasts separate, and reflectors, and comparisons between mogul and DE bulbs, and made my decision.

if I was to DIY everything, let's say... XM 10000k mogul on PFO standard 250w, with half decent reflector, and UV shielded glass, I would only save about $100 all together. I'm willing to pay the extra $100 and get something that works, without loads of tinkering ;)

Denis
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I love these pendants, good choice. 2 will be just right.
When you build your rock work, don't pile it up against the back wall, instead build a ridge in the middle as these pendants focus the light into a narrow area.
You'll be surprised how bright these are.
I used to run 2 x 400W SE in spiders with about the same intensity.
Later when you get more money upgrade to VHO actinics.
Acro was selling some Icecap ballasts earlier, check with him.
Have fun.

kwirky
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
thanks dennis... just needed some confidence in my buying decision. I've only got so much moolah, and I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong lighting system.

Oh, maybe you know a thing or two about skimmers. I was debating between the euroreef 135 and the euroreef 180. I will probably be running a second tank eventually off my sump (maybe a little cube), so I was thinking the 180 would be the way to go. I will be running mainly an invert tank, with only a few fish... any suggestions, or maybe another brand that's just as good that's a few $$ cheaper?

muck
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Check out the ASM skimmers. They are pretty similar to the Euroreefs but cheaper because of cheaper materials used to build them.

vanreefer
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I am a big fan of ASM

Denis
06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
thanks dennis... just needed some confidence in my buying decision. I've only got so much moolah, and I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong lighting system.

Oh, maybe you know a thing or two about skimmers. I was debating between the euroreef 135 and the euroreef 180. I will probably be running a second tank eventually off my sump (maybe a little cube), so I was thinking the 180 would be the way to go. I will be running mainly an invert tank, with only a few fish... any suggestions, or maybe another brand that's just as good that's a few $$ cheaper?

Sorry dude, I'm not much expert on skimmers, I build my own air driven CC skimmers.