PDA

View Full Version : fish stores in calgary

Delphinus
06-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Wellll ... a lot of stores I know are feeling the pinch of the summer slow-down right now and as such are not actively bringing a whole lot in. But there is of course stuff still there at those stores, so worth a look-see. There are three stores that I generally frequent. Big Al's down in the south, Wai's on 16th Ave NW (just across from Peter's Drive-in ... yum :D ) and Tail-n-Scales.

Wai's is the place to go visit if your interest is in corals. He also has nice fish and stuff, but if you like corals ... I guarantee you'll say "wow" if you check him out. Can be pricey though.

There is also Pisces, Oceans, Riverfront, and a few others. I checked out Oceans once, it's not bad. A little too far out of my way, as is Pisces, so I don't go to those ones too often. Riverfront is OK for supplies, freshwater, and reptiles if you're into those sorts of things. But saltwater ... let's not go there.

Hope this helps...

spikehs
06-26-2002, 06:16 PM
i heard some bad news about tails and scales, he is having a hard time renewing his liscence or something like that (they dont like him running it out of his basement even though he as the required permits) so i think we should try to support him as much as possible, cause he has been great to me and he is very cheap all around!

Delphinus
06-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I kinda feel for them, the headache they're going through right now. For now they are still in business, and the best price on supplies in town.

puggirl
06-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi, how do I get ahold of Tail-n-scale (he better not sell puppies!)

puggirl

Delphinus
06-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Basement run business in the south end of the city (Shawnessy). Call 256-9227 and they'll set you up with how to find them.

No puppies... (phew!)

Whatcha coming down to Cowtown for?

Tau2301
06-27-2002, 12:51 AM
I believe the license issue is in the past. They had to apply for license that allowed them to advertise in front of their home.

The complaint was made by a LFS that parking their van that had their business name on it constituted advertising. So they upgrade their license to allow this.

Puggirl, give them a call. The last I had heard is they made a trip down south and purchased some newer more colourful corals.

puggirl
06-27-2002, 04:46 AM
Hi I will be visiting Calgary in a few weeks. Where are the best places to go for coral? Your help is appreciated.

puggirl

Seriak
06-27-2002, 12:33 PM
I was just looking at a map at alberta.com and it said Tails & Scales is located in the NE up by 16 Ave and 68St or so. Do you know if he has moved recently? I also would like to check out his stock.

Delphinus
06-27-2002, 03:23 PM
Not even close. Maybe that is another business by a similar name.

They are down in Shawnessy (I live in Shawnessy and am in fact about 2 blocks away from them! :D )

Seriak
06-27-2002, 03:38 PM
You were right, he is down in Shawnessy. He is actually only 3 blocks away from me and his prices are great. However; he said he is still having problems and he may have to close. That would be unfortunate.

Delphinus
06-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Whereabouts are you Seriak? I'm down by the PetroCanada/7-11. Right by where the the driving range. So, does that make us 1 block apart (3 - 3) or 5 blocks apart (3 + 2)? :D

Jonathan aka "Canadian_Man" (who is on vacation so I will gladly speak for him :D ) is also down our way, up in Evergreen.

Yeah! Southerner reefers! I am no longer an island down here all by myself! Take that, NW!! Nyah nyah nyah!!! tongue.gif

[ 28 June 2002, 22:05: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Seriak
07-01-2002, 12:41 PM
I am in Millview up by 146th and James McKevitt. I guess that makes us 5 blocks apart.

Canadian Man
07-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Seriak,
I am on the corner of james macevit and 162nd,
Very close