PDA

View Full Version : How do your critters like the mysis.

Canadian Man
06-04-2002, 12:09 AM
I ask this question because my animials dont priticularaly go crazy about the new mysis.
Mind you i have only had it for 1 day but :confused:

how do you all thaw this product out?
do you dump the oily water from the cup in the aquarium as well?
Some help would be appreciated.

Oh my scooter blennie goes crazy over brine shimp and blood worms, but will not even look at the mysis.

Tau2301
06-04-2002, 12:22 AM
My fish love the stuff, even my scooter blenny will hover in the water column to get some.

The cleaner shrimp will of course eat anything, byt seem a little more excited when I put the mysis in the tank.

I have yet to feed my BTA with the mysis, waiting to get a turkey blaster. He has captured some as it floats by, but I haven't seen him smacking his lips over it. Maybe just needs a blast of it.

As for the oily scum, I just noticed it tonight when I was trial fitting my new light hood. I think I will follow the recommendation to rinse it fresh water before serving.

I was reluctant to do the rinse, because the first time I put it into the tank still frozen and the tiny particles that floated out seem to perk up my leather, colt, and xenia.

Anyway, so far so good...

Delphinus
06-04-2002, 12:50 AM
Oh right, I'm supposed to tell you all, thaw the stuff out in a cup of fresh water. Discard the water. Or occasionally dump it in. I just dump mine in, I prethaw it in tank water but I don't discard the water.

Will things "like" it better than anything else? My guess is probably not, or at least, "maybe but not necessarily." The reason this stuff is worth its weight in gold is because on a breakdown it's something like 69% protein. No other food offers protein at that kind of ratio. If you look at the nutritional breakdown of other foods, you'll notice that proteins are usually less than 10%. I noticed that a lot of the foods I have, the biggest component is "moisture." I figure I have enough of that in my tank water already... ;)

Fussy eaters supposedly will take to it, but I don't have anything like that, so I can't offer any personal testimony on that front. The only thing I can attest to, is that the protein content is what's good about it. If stuff will take to it, then they'll need nothing else.

That all said, my male perc is too small for the stuff. He'll chase a piece, decide it's too big, and let it go. My female eats it OK. But for the male, I have to feed something else, or maybe chop up the stuff first (which I haven't tried yet, but will eventually).

cheers

AJ_77
06-04-2002, 12:51 AM
Beats me!

IF it is the same as Piscine Aquatics, or whatever the BrandName is, then thumbs up. They gobble it up (especially when it comes bursting out of the returns by the buckets)! My male percula takes the choicest small pieces, except if he hasn't eaten in a while - then it is truly astounding the size of piece he can hold without choking.

:eek:

I'll have to wait to try the new stuff. :rolleyes:

[ 03 June 2002, 20:59: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Canadian Man
06-04-2002, 03:36 AM
Thanks guy's!
I read a specific thawing method on the site for the company in bc.
http://www.mysis.com/
tried this method tonight, exactally as they say, but I still got the oil slick in the cup.
Oh well I will let the critters starve for a day then see what they think of the stuff on wednesday.
I have been feeding them everyday (i usually fed every 2 days)so they may be a little on the full side.

EmilyB
06-04-2002, 09:22 PM
I just found this today, although Dr. Ron is just guessing as to why his don't like it.

From: http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/archive/40/2002/03/4/72261

> begin quote

rshimek
Hi,

I can't comment on the other Pro-Salt products, I have not tried them.

I had bad luck with the Piscine Energetics Mysis. None of my fish would eat them
preferentally, including either of my two copper band butterfly fish; or any of my clownfish.
This may have been due to the mysids being relatively larger than the foods the fish were
used to. My clown fish would taste them and spit them out and refuse to eat them. I talked
with the PE folks, and found them earnest and concerned, but we were unable to determine
why my fish simply did not appear to like the food.

These are fresh water mysids, and it is possible that the batches I tried were collected when
the animals had been feeding on an alga that might render their flesh distasteful to my fish.
However, I don't know for sure.

Some folks have had good luck with this product, but I didn't.

:D
>End quote

It could be the (size) of it, I would agree. I threw a bunch in my new batch of food and they all eat just fine. But when I chopped it, they still didn't go for it.

And no Kyle, I am not knocking your excellent world renowned product... :D ;) I am actually finding a way to get reluctant fish to eat it..

Tau2301
06-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Hey Tony, you did tell me to thaw the mysis in fresh water and then drain off the excess. smile.gif

I am just wondering if this is similar to boiling vegetables and then putting all the nutrients down the drain. Is the oily stuff actually that all important Omega 3 Fatty Acids, that I keep hearing are, required for healthy animals?

As it is I thaw the mysis in tank water (your sugestion) and use a Turkey Blaster and I do mean Blaster to feed my BTA - got to be more careful. ;) Otherwise I just put it directly into the tank.

My fish love the mysis shrimp and I am not sorry that I bought it. It is fun to watch them do the "Dance of Joy." :D

P.S. My Bristle Worms give it 5 bristles up.

AJ_77
06-05-2002, 01:26 AM
I put a small chunk of frozen onto a teaspoon and let it sit at room temp for 10 - 15 minutes. It turns to jelly, and then the spoonful goes in the water. It breaks up pretty quickly, but not in a mess.

Years ago, I would rinse shrimp in a small strainer, then put the clean bits into the tank. Like Kim, I wonder how much of what I rinsed away was beneficial, and even more so with this product.

Alan

Canadian Man
06-06-2002, 04:43 AM
well to give everyone a fishy update,
all me fish ate the mysis even the pickey blennie.
Yea!
My fw angels adore the stuff!
this makes me feel much better. :cool:

MitchM
06-12-2002, 09:17 PM
I tried the new mysis tonight...

The whole tank went CRAZY! Brittlestars crawling out from everywhere, too.
I don't thaw or rinse it though, I just break off a chunk and put it in. Between the fish grabbing at it and the seaswirls blowing it around, the chunk is completely gone within 1 minute.

Hey Tony...why does Bob get a bag of shrimp for $.50, when you made me pay $.75???!!! tongue.gif

Mitch :D

Bob I
06-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Speaking of Brittlestars Tony. I am still unashamedly looking for some remember? :rolleyes:

Delphinus
06-13-2002, 02:50 PM
Bob: Next time we're together, I promise I will try to get you some brittlestars. If you're ever in the DeepSouth(tm) look me up.

Jon: Glad to hear your scooter took some. I wish I had known about this mysis when I had scooters, because I think it might just be pivotal for success with them. How long have you had this scooter, BTW?

Canadian Man
06-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Tony,
Well on the 19th of june my tank will be 1 year old and i got him about a month after setup(not at home so i cant tell you the exact date).

Sooo he has been in my tank for 11 months.

he still preffers the brine shrimp but does eat the mysis.

Delphinus
06-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Ah, so he hasn't hit that "danger zone" yet.

Good luck.

MitchM
06-23-2002, 11:01 AM
Mysis continued....

Ok, I've used the mysis a few times now, and am very happy with it.
HOWEVER, there is a significant amount of oil that collects on the top of my sump tank, and I notice a good amount of algae growth a couple of days afterward. Because of the water volume of my system, (somewhere around 260g), I think that I can get away with not rinsing the food. I am not running a skimmer. I think that if I wanted to feed the mysis more than once a week, it would definitely need rinsing.
I'm going to keep it as part of the variety of what I feed my tank.
I also feed clam, squid, brine shrimp, flake, krill, silversides.
I still need to get some DT's.

Mitch

Delphinus
06-23-2002, 01:02 PM
You know, that's odd. I have yet to notice a significant oil slick anywhere during or shortly after feeding either on the water surface or inside the skimmer (well the skimmer gets gross anyways, I clean it every two weeks or thereabouts); and I feed the mysis unrinsed every 2 days ... :confused:

Oh well, maybe it will still come..

[ 23 June 2002, 09:03: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Bob I
06-24-2002, 01:58 PM
I was rereading this post today, and began to wonder about Kim's turkey blaster, and what its original use was. I envisioned some sort of device you would use to sneak up on a turkey and blast the hell out of it. But the I wondered what you would do with a blasted to hell turkey. You probably would not want to eat it, and I honestly cannot envision anyone being so angry with turkeys that you would want to blast them. So I remain puzzled. :confused: :D

Tau2301
06-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Hey Bob, blaster is just my way of describing the effects of using a Turkey Baster (device for sucking up juices from a roasting pan). If you are not very carefull with this hi-tech device it becomes a Turkey Blaster, as you could damage your corals with the force of the water/food jet.

I have also found a secondary use for this device. I use it as a Bristle Worm Sucker. I stick it into the refugium and suck up unsuspecting worms to put into my main tank.

Hope nobody thinks thats cruel, as I would hate to have the Bristle Worm Police sicked on me. ;)

[ 24 June 2002, 20:48: Message edited by: Tau2301 ]

Delphinus
06-25-2002, 02:06 AM
Every worm is sacred,
every worm is great ....

... if a worm gets wasted..

AJ_77
06-25-2002, 02:22 AM
"Pick that up for Mummy, would you, Dierdre?"

:D