PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a switch to PC Lights

Samw
06-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I wanted some cheap slim lights for my overhead refugium and the 18W Coralife Aqualight was it. So I bought one and took the internals out so that I can mount them without the canopy. I bought a new switch and wired everything back the same way as they were before.

However, I noticed that the switch in the original configuration was placed on the neutral wire coming back from the ballast instead of the hot wire going into the ballast. What are the implications of this? I thought most people put the switch on the hot wire. Here is a pic after I wired the lights back up. It works fine. I'm just wondering what the difference between putting the switch on the black wire vs on the white wire. I assume the voltage on the wires coming out of the lamp will be lower. What else? Any advantages or disadvantages?

http://www.hyperdream.com/samw/reef/Equipment/CoralifePC/img_8873_std.jpg

mark
06-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Always switch the hot, period.

An example why; if you where change the bulbs with the switch off, the socket would still be hot.

Samw
06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks Mark. I'll change the wiring.

StirCrazy
06-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Sam, why are you switching up your power/common on your plug wire?

and yes always switch the supply like was mentioned

Steve

Samw
06-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Hi Steve.

I just wanted to keep the switch so I can turn the lights on and off. But after thinking about it, I'll probably put the lights on a timer anyways so I can switch the lights on and off using the manual override switch on the timer.

Anyhow, originally I was thinking of keeping the switch since the original canopy was wired with a switch. Its interesting that Coralife had it wired funny though (with the switch on the neutral wire).