PDA

View Full Version : I am getting worried

Bob I
06-20-2002, 05:00 PM
There seems to be very little of any importance going on here, so I will start something. As you know I have smallish system full of live rock. There are things growing out of control here. I am speaking mainly of my Colt, which has tripled in size. My Green Polyps (you cannot even see the rock they came on it looks like a Chia Pet.) Xenia of course is always out of control. I removed a couple of Hairy Mushrooms to give to Alan. Four grew back where I removed two. I think we should have a meeting here in the fall to learn fragging techniques. If worse comes to worse I will have to remove some LR.
Bob :eek: ;)

Canadian Man
06-21-2002, 03:31 AM
Sounds good to me Bob(about the meeting and topic that is)..
I know an average amount about fraging i would have to say and Tony knows a fair bit as well.
Speaking of fraging, i was at Mitch's today and got a wonderful frag of his pink birds nest sps coral (Thanks a bunch mitch).

MitchM
06-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Yer welcome!

Mitch

Delphinus
06-21-2002, 11:26 AM
Well, I must say I have learned something new about fragging these last two weeks. My lesson is this: cyanoacrylate gel is vastly more superior for attaching plugs than underwater epoxy. Naturally, it's better because it attaches much better and is easier to work with, which is intuitive, but what may not be intuitive is that it is not always inert.

Don't ask me how I learned this :mad: Suffice it to say, "the hard way." (I now have three frags with exposed skeleton at their bases) :( The frags aren't lost, thank goodness, but it will take quite some time for them to reclaim the areas they've lost (if they do at all).

Just suffice it to say this: If you're scatter-brained like me and misplace your cyanoacrylate gel, just go out and buy some more before attaching a new frag, rather than deciding "oh well this epoxy will have to do instead in the meantime until I find my cyanoacrylate, because it's almost as good." It may be good enough to glue two pieces of rock together, but don't use it to attach a frag.

Funny, the white glue I used before this grey stuff from "Two Little Fishes" never gave me any trouble. But just on an experiment, I took some grey epoxy this week after my little discovery of tissue recession on my frags, and mixed it up. Kept it in my hands. After a few minutes of mixing, this stuff was HOT. So it is definitely reactive, not inert. I might have been better off using bubble gum. Grrr.

[ 21 June 2002, 07:48: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Tau2301
06-21-2002, 07:02 PM
cyanoacrylate gel <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Tony, does this stuff have generic name like Crazy Glue or do I have to learn how to say Cyrano Deburserac - or something like it. :D

Delphinus
06-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Superglue or Krazy glue, yup that's it. But the gel is what we want for frags. (The liquid does work, but it has the side effect of being really effective at attaching frags to our fingers. The gel at least holds together nicely until it's cured.)

Loctite is the brand I use, the only one I can find locally in a gel form. You can get it at Canuck Tire, Revy, HD, etc. It comes in a bottle with a squeeze type trigger and a nice long thin nozzle. Perfect for frag attachings and about $5.

DJ88
06-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Kim,

Go for the LocTite gel.. It is in a blue bottle. By far it is the best cyanoacrelate based glue for mounting frags.. I won't use anything else anymore.

Hey I typed that after three beer.. Not bad :D

spelled it wrong tho didn't I? ;)

Tau2301
06-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info.

Don't know when I will ever get to Revy or HD...yeah right :D