PDA

View Full Version : jumping firefish?

niloc16
06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
i use to have a purple firefish for a few months and then after i purchased my flame angel he jumped out. i want to get another purple firefish and a red firefish at the same time. i am trying to figure out how often they do jump. i know they are classified as jumpers but from the people i talk to at the LFS say they rarely get them jumping. any advice to lessen the chance of them committing suicide would be great. i currently have pair of black percs (had for a week), flame angel, sixline wrasse and a blue/green chromis. i dont want to cover my tank but i was thinking of maybe using egg crate on top for awhile to get them used to the tank.

TheReefGeek
06-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I would use egg crate permanently, temporarily will just save their lives temporarily.

Not much you can do to get them not to jump, they can get spooked in the night, and shoot straight up, or jump out when chased by another fish.

Rondelet
06-05-2006, 06:08 AM
I've had several fire fish and can't recall having seen them jump - but I also have a glass lid. However, I would agree with TheReefGeek - use egg crate as there is no reason to take a chance. If heat ever became an issue for me, which it isn't at the moment, I would just switch my glass lid for egg crate.

Quagmire
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I had a Firefish that would jump everytime someone would come into the room.I used eggcrate,but it still managed to jump through the holes.One day the cat was faster picking it up than I was.

TheReefGeek
06-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah eggcrate is not the "perfect" fix, small fish can still make it through if they hit a hole just perfectly. But I think it is the best combination overall choice because it offers good protection, and still allows gas exchange.

There is plastic mesh that can be used as well, no fish could make it through it, gas exchange would be cut maybe in half though.

DanG
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I would use egg crate permanently, temporarily will just save their lives temporarily.

Not much you can do to get them not to jump, they can get spooked in the night, and shoot straight up, or jump out when chased by another fish.

I had that last night, I don't know what happened during the night but it made my lawmower blenny was all dried up on the carpet this morning. He made it a good 10 feet from the tank somehow.

WaterLogged
06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
ohh your blenny probably did the worm across the carpet. Happened to me once too, but I found him in the basement. lol . My tank is upstairs!!

TheReefGeek
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
They can end up a fair ways from the tank, because they flip-flop all over the place after they hit the ground.

Before I started using egg-crate I found fish in adjascent rooms!

niloc16
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
i bought some eggcrate last night and got it cut up to fit really good. today i'm going to get the firefish and cross my fingers it will work. i'll post some pics when i get it setup. i've lost a firefish and a chromis to jumping.

Sebae
06-06-2006, 01:59 AM
What do you use to cut it so it doesn't chip or break ?

muck
06-06-2006, 02:06 AM
sidecutters or a hacksaw blade (carefully) :wink:

TheReefGeek
06-06-2006, 05:56 AM
I use these

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/Workshop/MechanicsTools/Pliers/MiniPliers/0584604_160_SC_4c13.jpg

muck
06-06-2006, 05:59 AM
That would be a sidecutter. :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Cut the first two sections with sharp wire cutters, then use the handle of a wrench that is the right diameter to smash through the rest of the row. Sooooo much faster than snipping each piece.

niloc16
06-06-2006, 07:15 AM
a pair of side cutters worked excellent. it didnt chip or break and made it really easy to make accurate cuts.

Ruth
06-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I just look really sad when I buy it at Winsor Plywood and they cut if for me so their saw gets gummed up and not mine!

muck
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I just look really sad when I buy it at Winsor Plywood and they cut if for me so their saw gets gummed up and not mine!

:lol: :lol: