PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan!

AJ_77
06-16-2002, 01:24 AM
So you don't look here and there's no new Calgary posts - thanks for encouraging me tonight. It is a bit discouraging, but we had a very nice time seeing you guys tonight!

Until we meet in the Bahamas,

Cheers! :D

(PS- the coral you guys were talking about tonight, that was down to 3 polyps? Take a look at the 2nd picture in this thread (http://www.ultimatereef.net/cgi-bin/ibv3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d0c189f3599ffff;act=ST;f=3;t=4287 ) and see if it's similar.)

[ 15 June 2002, 22:03: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Canadian Man
06-16-2002, 03:00 AM
Thanks Alan, Yes i know what you are going through. It's always good to have someone who has been there. Man I have had my share of bad luck in the past year with my tank and have been upset many times.

The link wouldnt work :(
if you do a search for crystal coral on a web search you will come up with a few pics.

The feeling is mutual, i always enjoy seeing....
well....our new friends, you all are great!

[ 15 June 2002, 23:01: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Canadian Man
06-16-2002, 02:12 PM
Tony, you always have good things to say. i am sure alan greatly appreciates it, thanks

About my avitar....
well before i had the guy with the brain thing which i thought was appropriate but i needed a change. i dont have fantastic computer skills so i dont know what alan is talking about when he describes getting one off the net so i had to look through the pre made ones on here.
found the turkey (i was hungry that day!) and took that one. oh and i figured no one will use that one cause it's kinda stupid.

Canadian Man
06-16-2002, 02:16 PM
What the! tony where did you post go that i just responded to go?

Delphinus
06-16-2002, 02:27 PM
I deleted it by accident instead of editing it. Sorry about that. I thought, dang, do I retype it all in now? And then thought ... well ... laziness kind of took over at that point.

Alan: What I had tried to say (in addition to asking Jonathan about his hunger-provoking avatar there), was, don't be discouraged. Things go wrong in a tank. Sometimes because of our own doing, which can be hard to take, and sometimes despite our doing everything "correctly" and things still go wrong, which can also be hard to take. (I'm not sure which one is worse. They're both discouraging.)

You have to take the lows with the highs, and you'll appreciate the highs that much more. (The "highs" ? Sheesh it sounds like I'm talking about smoking weed. Well ... reefing IS addictive ... :rolleyes: ;) )

I think the best advice you can be given right now is: 1) keep exercising your common sense. 2) Stay the course. With "good" tank management, things will settle out eventually. (Nothing happens fast except for disaster, right? This hobby sure tests our patience, that's for durn shure.)

Whatever nasty is in your tank that has got you down about your tank, think of it this way: "it" grows in the ocean, too, right? But in the ocean things look awesome. So what's going on right now is that it has the natural advantage tipped in its favour. This can be a normal (albeit frustrating) part of the first year. While freshwater tanks can be measured in terms of months, I sometimes think we shouldn't bother measuring reef tanks in anything but years. The first year, yeah, lots of things going on. Equilibrium sure takes its time some days...

Do you remember how my 75g looked when you and Jonathan were over, cyano pretty much everywhere and it was kinda gross? Guess what, no more cyano. I think I see the tiniest patch of it lingering in one spot. The rest of the tank ... shiney clean. So ... take heart. Your tank's day will come.

[ 16 June 2002, 10:39: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Tau2301
06-16-2002, 03:19 PM
AJ, I think the main thing is not to over react. You will always get lots of advice that you will have to sort through and decides what is best for your situation.

The people giving the advice can only go on what they have read and not what you see.

Things will get better.

AJ_77
06-16-2002, 07:15 PM
How cool is all this? It's been stated before in an earlier thread: "I will succeed in this hobby because of you all."

Thanks, guys.

smile.gif

Bob I
06-17-2002, 12:12 AM
I have been away all weekend, and when I read this post I feel something has happened to Alan's tank. Is this true Alan, could you bring me up to speed?

AJ_77
06-17-2002, 12:23 AM
I shall refer you to a thread in the Reef forum, entitled "Green Water Column."

It is my cry for help; it seems my tank has become a large phytoplankton farm. But you know about this, Bob, for you replied to the post.

It's just gotten much worse, that's all. I can't see in the tank past 6 inches or so... Don't know the state of my charges unless they're at the front, but I've implemented some measures: a new skimmer, more carbon and floss, and today a micron filter cartridge adapted to a MJ1200.

We shall see... but I am more hopeful since all my mates spoke up to give me a boost, ay?

Cheers!

AJ ;)

Bob I
06-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Okay , sorry, I thought when I read the post that something more horrendous had occurred. I have never seen a marine tank go all green, but if the charges are alright, not a giant problem. As I previously said, some form of microfiltration would be in order, but that would not locate the source. I may not be able to help, but would like to see the problem firsthand.
Bob

Bob I
06-18-2002, 05:40 PM
If it does not go away, I know how to clean it up in an hour or so. It would cost a couple of hundred dollars unfortunately. :eek: