PDA

View Full Version : Time to stock! Some questions...

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi All,

Cycling is done and i'm ready to stock! I have a 38G tank with 40lbs live rock w/ remora skimmer.

My stocking list:

2 percula clowns
1 midas blenny
1 cherub angel
1 bengaii cardinal
2 cleaner shrimp

Overstocked? Also, which order should I put them in? Do you forsee any compatibility issues? Your help is MUCH appreciated!

G

OCDP
05-31-2006, 05:33 PM
You might have problems with the Angel, it's not really "reef safe" so it's a risk. But, do you plan on setting up a Reef, or FOWLR? If you don't plan on keeping much for corals, you'd be ok.

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, but i'm willing to take the risk. Angels are just such beautiful fish! I intend for this tank to have only a few corals here and there anyways. Can you suggest any corals that might not be so tasty to him? hehe I hear some noxious corals are best. Any suggestions?

Any other centerpiece fish that could possibly replace the angel? (if i get cold feet!)

OCDP
05-31-2006, 05:53 PM
I think if you stay away from SPS and clams. But anything with "polyps" I think interest the fish, but I could be wrong.

I can't think of a good centerpiece fish unfortunately, I just have a 20g so I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to fish,.

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
So what order should I stock the tank?

I was thinking, from first to last:

1. Clowns
2. Cleaner Shrimp
5. Cardinal
3. Blenny
4. Angel

Also, if I was to replace one of the fish with a royal gramma, when would you suggest I put it in?

Thanks again!

G

Jaws
05-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I think if you were to get an angel, since that would probably be your center piece, I would go with a flame angel. Very vibrant and active.

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Does my stocking order sound reasonable?

OCDP
05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes it sounds fine.. just go slow. I would do fish first, invert last. That's me though. Put in the least agressive and territorial fish first. Then go from there.

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Also, do you quarantine your new fish? I don't have a quarantine tank (boooo hissss) so a freshwater dip will have to do. Do you suggest just using pH adjusted purified water for the dip, or do you suggest adding something else into the dip water ie methylene blue, etc? Any experiences? Thanks

Beverly
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
A 38g tank is too small for a dwarf angel.

mark
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Also, do you quarantine your new fish? I don't have a quarantine tank (boooo hissss) so a freshwater dip will have to do. Do you suggest just using pH adjusted purified water for the dip, or do you suggest adding something else into the dip water ie methylene blue, etc? Any experiences? Thanks

Ideally but probably most don't. But a used 10g and a cheap power filter is what 30 bucks.

Anyway about dips, lots here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dips_baths.htm

Buddyboy
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Too small for a cherub angel? Don't they top out at 3" inches in length? I know they are active fish though...

Beverly
05-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Too small for a cherub angel? Don't they top out at 3" inches in length? I know they are active fish though...

It's going to be a judgement call on your part whether you put a pygmy angel in a 38g, especially when the dimensions of the tank are not available to us. If the tank is 3' long, I'd say you were on the borderline of too small. If the tank is less than 3', I personally wouldn't put a pygmy in there. JMHO, though.

danny zubot
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
What about Samw tank? He has angel(s) in it.