PDA

View Full Version : Berghia nudibranchs ? (Aptasia Control)

Psyire
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Can you buy these aptasia eating delights anywhere in Canada? Is there any interest flying around?

Ruth
05-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I know there was a thread a while ago on these and I expressed interest at that time but not sure where it got to. Anyway I am still interested as I have a few of these buggers in my 230 that I can't reach to Joe's Juice them and can't put peppermint shrimp in because my big honkin coral banded shrimps kill them.

Psyire
05-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Perhaps we should fly some in?

Ruth
05-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Sounds good to me if you can find some. I think these guys are pretty small and I probably need about 15 or 20 of them.

Chaloupa
05-31-2006, 12:32 AM
I was looking into getting some too, but as Ruth said you need many of them, they tend to get sucked into powerheads and they are TINY! I was hoping it would be easier to get them in but....when I contacted the guy in the US it wasn't feasible for me to do on my own...HOWEVER...if anyone does decide to get some I am IN...I need some for my reef and would love to participate in a buy...if only to figure out how to coordinate it if we do! I can get to Vancouver easily enough if someone there starts this up....let me know!

saltaddict
05-31-2006, 01:21 AM
why not peppermint shrimp. I have one of these guys in my 65Gal which was infested with aptasia and now there is none. Took him like 2 months to eat them all and he doesnt touch any of my soft corals. They are also readily available..Just a thought.

Ruth
05-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Can't put peppermint shrimp in because my big honkin coral banded shrimps kill them.
I've tried because I have had luck with peppermint shrimp in other tanks but no go in this one.

Jason McK
05-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Well I invested a lot in the Nudis. Tried to get a group buy but didn't get enough interest. So I went it alone and thought I could make it up later. Can't say the 22 I put in my 75G did anything to my Aptasia population nor have I seen a Nudi since the lights went out the first day I put them in (2 months ago)
Not quite the solution to my aptasia problem

J

Psyire
05-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Doh, that dosen't sound very convincing...

crusty1
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
I bought 10 of them, put them in a seperate tank and am keeping an eye on them (when I can find them). Have had them for about a month now. They have been laying lots of eggs but not sure what is happening, yet.
Eggs seem to disappear every few days, so I am not sure if there is someone eating them? I think it takes about 2weeks for them to hatch.
Chris

Jason McK
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
To be far, I do not know if I have a nature predator in my tank. I do have a wrasse that looks like he may have enjoyed eating them

J

mark
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I bought 10 of them, put them in a seperate tank and am keeping an eye on them (when I can find them). Have had them for about a month now. They have been laying lots of eggs but not sure what is happening, yet.
Eggs seem to disappear every few days, so I am not sure if there is someone eating them? I think it takes about 2weeks for them to hatch.
Chris

You're rotating aptasia rock through this separate tank then?

crusty1
05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
I will be rotating the live rock as I see some aptasia disappear. I have a couple of peppermint shrimp in the display tank. They may eat the nudis, and as I only have 10 berghai right now, I am not prepared to feed the peps those expensive little guys.
Whoops, I appologize for hijacking this thread...... No I don't know anywhere in Canada where you can buy the Berghai Nudis at this time.

Willito
06-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Those Nudi's are a waste of money if you plan on putting it into an established reef, they will all mysteriously disappear and your aiptasia will remain. I've spent alot of money on them as well witn zero results. Peppermint is the best way to go. The trick with peppermint is to introduce alot at the same time. By alot, I mean 12-15 of them. I use to introduce 2-3 at a time and never seen any affectiveness until the last attemp where I added 15 and now I am aiptasia free. It took about a month but all ten thousand of them are now gone. The shrimps are still there.

TheReefGeek
06-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I have a group buy thread started here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=200254#post200254