PDA

View Full Version : EcoSystem Miracle Mud Sump Filtration

Richard_Dicosimo
05-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Anyone using it? It’s pretty heavily advertised in the coral mags, but at 100$ for 5 lbs i am kind of afraid to jump onboard. I have heard from reliable sources that it turns the water yellow. Anyone here have any experience with it? Or any comments???

Richard

TheReefGeek
05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I believe the yellowing water is not from the miracle mud, but a side effect of people running skimmerless systems with a miracle mud refugium. This system builds up organics in the water over time, turning it more yellow.

Willow
05-31-2006, 04:29 AM
order the mud from the states, the canadian dealer are insane with their prices on the stuff. you can get 10lbs for around 55us. yes it will yellow your water somewhat, you should run carbon with it.

Richard_Dicosimo
05-31-2006, 05:05 AM
has anyone tryed using this style of filtration? are the benifits realy as great as they claim? would a sand bed refuge do the same?? they claim that the mud releases lots of good minerals, and fauna of the tank is supposed to be amasing.

Richard

Willow
05-31-2006, 05:55 AM
ive used the system for 5 years now, it works good for lps or softies, i wouldn’t try it with sps. don’t believe half the hype from eco systems, i run mine with cheato, micro bag, carbon and a calcium reactor. it does work well but you need to step up your maintance schedule without a skimmer.

Ruth
05-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I use the MM in my sump on my 230g and have been for about a year and a half. Like Willow I don't believe half the stuff they claim and I run it with carbon, a phosban reactor, calcium reactor and ASM G4X skimmer. I haven't really had any problems with this tank with the exception of heat. I do have SPS (some) and clams in this tank.

Richard_Dicosimo
06-01-2006, 06:52 AM
perfect thanks well from what you guys have said and from what i have heard form other people, i dont see the benefits vs the price as beeing worth it. so i think i will just go with a crushed coral refuge bottom.

Richard

Willow
06-01-2006, 07:16 AM
oh i belive in mm dont get me wrong, it has lots of benifits and i do get lots of macro algae growth. persoanly thats all i would run in a fuge. all im saying is don't belive some of the claims eco makes, they claim you dont even have to supplement calcium with it :wink: