PDA

View Full Version : An Aptasia Question.

OCDP
05-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Man I hate Aptasia...

Anyways.. I did some "nuking" this weekend, and I noticed an Aptasia in the weirdest place. It's on my remora's maxijet cord.... yes , the cord. How does this work? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how Aptasia reproduce, because it just ended up there. Pretty funny though.... you know you got a problem when..... haha.

Thankfully I nuked most of them and they are all shrivelling away, now I will just need a peppermint to keep things under control.

DanG
05-29-2006, 04:15 PM
I added a couple of peppermints several months ago when I had a half dozen of them kicking around, within minutes they were getting to work on them. I noticed one of the aptasia's on the end ring of one of my seios.
What did you nuke with?

OCDP
05-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Interesting.. aptasia must release something into the water then that uses reproduction... because how the heck do they end up there?

I nuked mine with kalk paste. I just mixed a baste full of tank water with a teaspoon of kalk and made it to a gooey paste, then used a tiny pipette and covered the areas the aptasia was taking over. I let it sit for about 20 minutes just to let it really get at them, then turn the flow on. Seems to work pretty well.

Delphinus
05-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Sometimes they let go and float around the tank for a bit. Then they just re-attach ..

OCDP
05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Hmm, didn't know that either. Interesting.

Flusher
05-30-2006, 03:27 AM
I put a bunch of aipstasia in my sump to help filter the water a few weeks ago. So far, almost all of them have moved away from where they were originally placed. One even spent a few days on a pantyhose carbon bag. They seem to like being close to the surface.

I've got a Peppermint shrimp in my display tank to prevent the aipstasia from spreading in there. It sure did the trick on the small aipstasia that came free with a few frags I've picked up over the last few months. :lol:
________
Handjob Cumshot (http://www.****tube.com/categories/670/cumshot/videos/1)

Palster
05-30-2006, 03:45 AM
When I first had an Aiptasia outbreak on my very first saltwater tank I actually saw one of my Hermit Crabs crawl by with an Aiptasia anemone growing on it's shell. Kind of made me laugh and it was around that time that I used a Copperband Butterfly to get the problem under control. I still have some of the same live rock from the original tank and I still get the odd Aiptasia anemone show up which I keep under control with Joe's Juice.