PDA

View Full Version : Post TDS readings

spikehs
05-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I was just wondering what my TDS reading should be at post RO/DI. I have the aquasafe 5 stage RODI. My starting tapwater is about 190... I have had it running for about 30 mins, and it is currently at 28... I figure it should be lower no? Giving that I am just filling up my tank for the first time, i dont want to start filling it up until the TDS is at an acceptable level, would in the 20's be considered high for post RODI? thanks.. btw all the filters are brand new. Thanks!!!

DanG
05-29-2006, 04:58 AM
20's is very high. When I set up my aquasafe, my water in was 65ppm and was coming out between 0 and 1.
What is your in tds reading?

BMW Rider
05-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I find that I need to flush about 6-10 gallons of RO water through after replacing the filters to get the TDS back down to 1-2.

mark
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Have the Aquasafe as well and get 2-4 TDS. Check through the instructions though, there's something about when first setting up you'll get a high TDS from the carbon filter until you run it for a while.

danny zubot
05-29-2006, 03:13 PM
My water going in was about 170-190, and my filtered read .01.

Question, my Di media was green in color when I started using the filter a year ago. Now they are almost all brown or colorless. Does that mean I should be replacing them soon? No change in the way the water tastes though.

SJSobczyk
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
My water going in was about 170-190, and my filtered read .01.

Question, my Di media was green in color when I started using the filter a year ago. Now they are almost all brown or colorless. Does that mean I should be replacing them soon? No change in the way the water tastes though.

Yes you should change out your DI media once it turns yellow/brown, it means its exhausted.

I have about 170-180 going in, and 1 coming out.

Steve

EmilyB
05-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Post DI = 0

spikehs
05-29-2006, 08:37 PM
ok, well i found one of my sources of the problems... and its pure stupidity on my part!! I had the waste water line going in to the DI, instead of the RO water. So I switched it, and have come upon a new problem. I have a constant stream of water coming out of the "waste" line, and NOTHING coming out of the RO line going into the DI canaster. does anyone have any idea? When i move that black switch to the flush position, i get a really strong stream coming out of the waste line, and a few dribbles coming out of the RO line...

mark
05-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Had similiar problem, constant stream from waste water line and no unit output. After a few e-mails back and forth from Aqusafe was instructed to disassemble and clean the AVS. Did so, didn't notice any debris but when I reassembled flow stopped.

Suggest do all the hook ups as AVS needs back pressure to shut off. Note, if you have a tank it will take awhile before that fills and unit shuts down. If you have the tank and turn off the line to it does the waste flow stop?

spikehs
05-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Had similiar problem, constant stream from waste water line and no unit output. After a few e-mails back and forth from Aqusafe was instructed to disassemble and clean the AVS. Did so, didn't notice any debris but when I reassembled flow stopped.

Suggest do all the hook ups as AVS needs back pressure to shut off. Note, if you have a tank it will take awhile before that fills and unit shuts down. If you have the tank and turn off the line to it does the waste flow stop?

I dont have the storage tank for the filter. I have the line coming from the RO membrane , out of the elbow w/ the metallic nut going into my DI filter (but nothing is going into there). Might be a stupid question, but what is the AVS? thanks...

DanG
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I think it was supposed to be ASV or auto shutoff valve, aka the white box that has 4 tubes going into it.

muck
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
and here I was thinking it was a fancy digital unit with anti-virus software.. :mrgreen:

mark
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Don't have the aquasafe doc with me to know what AVS stands for so would be guessing but its the small white puck shaped device with believe 4 lines hooked to it, held together with 4 screws. It basically controls the flow.

EmilyB
05-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Is that the waffle/pancake thingy? :lol: I had the same problem and it was hooked up wrong. The white kids get the waffle.

spikehs
05-30-2006, 12:45 AM
well i dont have the white puck thing, so i dont think thats the problem ;) ...

After spending most of the day trying to get it to work, I am starting to think there is something wrong with the RO membrane, as its basically the only thing it could be. There is a good amount of water entering the RO unit, the unit is sitting snug into the bottom (the end with the 2 o-rings is down). There isn't supposed to be anything else in the RO canister (ie washer etc) other than the ro membrane itself, correct? I am getting plenty of waste water but NO ro water. arg! any ideas?

mark
05-30-2006, 01:47 AM
This thing. The other tube end of the ro unit with the metal nut connects to it.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/AVS.jpg

spikehs
05-30-2006, 02:02 AM
yah i definatley didn't get one of those, I had it hooked up properly before without one. Then I swapped out all the filters and got nothin.

mark
05-30-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm out of ideas then.

EmilyB
05-30-2006, 06:53 AM
I did get a bad membrane once Sean, went through a whole lot of quiz questions from Aquasafe to verify that. You should contact them if you think that might be the problem.

danny zubot
05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I second that, I didn't get instructions with mine either. I just emailed them and they sent me everything I needed to know via email.

spikehs
05-31-2006, 02:37 AM
yah i have been in contact with them for a bit, they now want me to measure the pressure coming out at different locations, cept i dont have one of those pressure guages, might have to get one.

On another note i mentioned to wendell about my problem and he suggested putting a valve on the waste watter line and restrict it to create some back pressure (presumably to force it through the membrane) which makes sense to me. I have done that, and my TDS was at abou 34, but that was right after doing it so I am letting it run for a while to see what happens... does this sound like a good idea? thanks again for all the help!

spikehs
05-31-2006, 06:18 AM
ok, i got it down to 3ppm now with some tinkering, so its time to fill the tank!