PDA

View Full Version : i'm new here...

mrmah
06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
good morning all, I just registered yesterday, and would like to know more about the Calgary Reefing Club. What can you tell me about the monthly meetings? Can anyone attend? I'm a novice marine aquarist that just started seriously into the hobby last fall (but have been keeping fish for the last 20 years). I also heard from Rob Toonen, and he mentioned that he would be giving some sort of talk/presentation. When would that be? Anyhow, I look forward to hearing back from any of you...

AJ_77
06-11-2002, 01:40 PM
Good Morning! (Dale, is it?)

Welcome to the very un-official Calgary chapter! There may have been previous versions of the Calgary Reefing Club, but this group got together short months ago at Canadian Man's urging, and he hosted our first meeting.

You will see a thread by Tau_2301 regarding a meeting this Saturday at his place. I have no doubt you would be welcome. As for Mr Toonen, I believe he is due in these parts sometime in July. More to come on that, I'm sure.

So, greetings from another Newbie. This is a very helpful and supportive group.

Alan

Delphinus
06-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

(How do I pronouce your userid, BTW? Is it "Mister Mah" ? smile.gif )

Actually, there never was a reefing club before us, so we're the first! We are still a very flegdling society. Here's the history lesson: smile.gif We actually owe our existence to this board, because they generously gave us a forum when Bob asked in the main forum "Does anyone here want to form a club for Calgary?" As I recall, Dan150 (who unfortunately has since moved to Ft. McM) and I said "sure", so Titus opened up the forum. Gradually others trickled in, now our regular numbers are 5, plus a few others but who haven't made it to meetings yet (you know you guys are!!!!! Please, come) and we're always looking for more people. A club is only as good as its numbers.

Canadian_Man gets credit for pushing the few guys we had to actually meet up face-to-face, and so far it's been monthly get-togethers since.

You have excellent timing. Our next meeting is this Saturday. Hopefully you can make it.

[ 11 June 2002, 09:49: Message edited by: delphinus ]

mrmah
06-11-2002, 02:36 PM
thanks for the prompt reply. it is always neat to meet others in the hobby. yes, my "real" name is Dale and yes, i intended my userid to be pronounced "Mister Mah". It's not very original, but I got it from a child's book called "Me and Mr.Mah". Always thought it was neat that my last name made it on the cover of a book. blah blah blah, regardless...

thanks for the info. i'll see if i can attend the meeting on saturday. i may be able to mention it to another friend who is in the hobby as well. i'll post a message on the "Meeting" thread now.

thanks again, and if i can't make it on saturday, i look fwd to meeting up with you the next time.

Canadian Man
06-11-2002, 02:39 PM
:D A new face, Yipee! :D

I do get excited when I see new people on this board.
Tony and Alan basically explained most of out short history. Out meetings are fun and we have some great converstation. There is sometimes frag swapping going on at them along with other critters and such. Many of us also get together more than the alloted once a month meeting to spy on the others tanks.
anywhoo like i said, nice to see a new face and hope you could make it this saturday.

cheers
Jonathan

mrmah
06-11-2002, 02:50 PM
it's great to feel welcome! are spouses invited to the meetings as well?

Tau2301
06-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi Dale, welcome to the group. Please come and share your knowledge and experiances with us.

The next meeting is this Saturday - have a look at the menu thread. Spouses and future spouses are welcome - another hint at Mitch. ;)

I will email you the address with directions to my home.