PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Tank

fortheloveofcrabs
05-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey all,

I have a 55g reef, and it is a little too close to the wall... I have to move it about 2 inches. It's on hard wood flooring. Is there anyway to move the tank without having to drain it? I'd hate to do that for 2 inches.... Any suggestions on how, or am I screwed?

Thanks!

smellsfishy
05-27-2006, 08:09 PM
what kind of stand is it.

wetcoast
05-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a 65 gallon with a 30 gallon sump - when I was running sans sump I would drain it out 1/3 of the way and have my girlfriend help slide one side. I too am on hardwood floors - so that makes it a bit easier. I haven't scratched up the floor (so I think) and have done this many times. It is a bit trickier with the sump full - but it has been done as well. The point about a stand is a valid one as well. Mine is built with many 2x4's and lots of framework so I have had no problem, just make sure you don't tip the tank and good luck!

fortheloveofcrabs
05-27-2006, 09:55 PM
It's a hagen stand, it's not ideal, but it does the job. I guess slow and steady will get the job done them, hunh? I don't have a sump on the tank.

Thanks

smellsfishy
05-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I've used a floor jack before, but at the time i had a diy stand (75G)with 4x4 legs i just screwed a couple of 2x4s on the side, jacked it up and rolled it out. don't know if it helps you but maybe i will give you other ideas. I've even borrowed my sons skate board on occasionas a pribar kind of lift and roll action. cardboard slides good if you can get it under.

wetcoast
05-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Not entirely sure about Hagen stands myself, but pull from the lowest point of the stand/base and you _should_ be ok.