PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of foods...

MitchM
06-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Tony mentioned in another thread protein levels.
I was curious what you guys really use and what the listed protein levels are.

I have:
OSI Spirulina Flakes 41%
Frozen Krill 11%
Frozen Pygmy Angel Formula 11.2%
Frozen Silversides 14.2 %
Frozen Supershrimp 5.3%.... :eek:
Frozen Squid 10.8%

Thanks,
Mitch

UnderWorldAquatics
06-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Hakari Mysis shrimp is from the baltics and is a salt water product. Piscene energetics, canadian lake plankton, and My(Kyle)Mysis shrimp is from fresh water lakes in the Okanogan Valley.
I dont feel bad by putting down Hakari cuz their a huge company that will still survive if I say their Mysis is CRAP!!!!!

EmilyB
06-04-2002, 09:16 PM
I am not knocking your product, I am asking about water/vs non water packing, and how this affects protein comparisons.
:rolleyes:

EmilyB
06-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Your omega/fatty acids post was interesting, Kyle. I can see this may be why Fenner has the krill and sea bass in his recipe, which I use.

It would certainly explain the oiliness, which some notice with the recipe I use.

Protein importance vs fatty acid doesn't seem to be as important, at least according to this as well:

fish nutrition link (http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fnucalf.physics.fsu.e du%2Fpfohl%2FFish%2FMarine%2FGeneral%2Fnutrition)

MitchM
06-05-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by EmilyB:
What I am doubting is if you can compare dry to frozen, as the water content is considered in the %, I would think.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point Em, hadn't thought of that.

Mitch

EmilyB
06-05-2002, 04:59 AM
What I am doubting is if you can compare dry to frozen, as the water content is considered in the %, I would think.

My freeze dried Hikari Krill is 63% protein, while the Hikari frozen Krill is 11%.

My homemade frozen food ? Who knows..

In the same way, I don't think you can compare Piscine mysis (packed without water)69% to say Hikari mysis, (packed with water) 10.5%. For one thing, all "mined" mysis comes from the Okanagan, so I am told! smile.gif

I wonder if fish are like dogs, and their protein requirements decrease as they age :confused:

EmilyB
06-11-2002, 02:46 AM
As an update for anyone interested, I emailed Bob Fenner, and the gelatin in his recipe also serves to bind the Omega fatty acids into the food, and get it into the fish, and not the water. Makes sense to me, the fish mom. :D