PDA

View Full Version : Rabbitfish

Chad
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, I got a rabbit fish in my 20gal QT.. with some rock and PVC for hiding. However, he is skitish as hell. Is constantly that brown colour with his spikes up. Hasn't seemed to calmed down one little bit in the 3 days I have had him. I am debating putting him in the main tank ASAP so he has more hiding spots..

Any suggestions? I don't really want to add him this soon without a good month in QT..

OCDP
05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Hows he eating? I don't have any experience with this fish, but I have noticed a good garlic soaked mysis meal usually gets the fish out more. Has it been eating? Sorry I am not much help.

hawk
05-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I would leave it in qt a little longer. When I had my Naso in qt it was very nervous as well, I darkened the tank by covering most of it with towels and keeping the surrounding lights dimmed. It seemed to help. If I am ever forced to take a fish out of qt prematurely I'll do a preventative treatment such as "Quick Cure". It is a 2 day treatment for ick, 7 days for lymphocystis.

Chad
05-26-2006, 11:44 PM
as far as I know he has not eaten anything. Just sits there freaked out. or he swims along the bottom almost flat.. (no sand in tank)... I am wondering if maybe his reflextion is freaking him out? Not sure what to do really, never had a fish behave like this in QT.

marie
05-27-2006, 12:03 AM
I have a foxface in quarantine right now that is very skittish. In fact, my daughters have named him a "politically incorrect" name because he doesn't seem very bright :lol:

Another small fish in the tank might help relax him a little, like a green chromis or something

Scavenger
05-27-2006, 12:43 AM
How's the circulation in your QT tank. I have found some fish skittish as heck if the flow is low. I call it TPS or Tidal Pool Syndrome, where the fish thinks it got trapped in a tidal pool and is easy pickings for any predatory bird ect.
Even lots of hiding spots aren't enough in my opinion. I have a couple of tangs and anytime I reduced flow, they will pretty much panic.

Chad
05-27-2006, 03:01 AM
admitedly the flow is poor in there.. with just 1 PH... I will throw another one in there and see what happems..

I will keep you updated..

Psyire
05-27-2006, 08:59 PM
My foxface was extremely skittish. They definately don't like being the only big fish in the tank, especially if there isn't many fish at all. I would just be worried about him eating, they should eat like pigs. I would definately try Nori on a clip and just leave him to eat it alone.