PDA

View Full Version : New Lighting, I Am So Excited

Fishguy52
05-26-2006, 03:39 AM
:razz: I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A 4 X 96 WATT PC Hamilton Technologies Retrofit AND MAN IT IS SO SWEET. THE QUESTION IS NOW WHAT CAN I KEEP REALLY GOOD WITH THIS KIND OF LIGHTING. I ALSO HAVE A NO 40 WATT ACTINIC TO HELP OUT, THE TANK IS A 70 GAL THAT IS 51” L X 20” W X 16”H.
WOULD I BE ABLE TO KEEP CLAMS, THE TOTAL WATT IS 424 THAT’S LIKE 6 WATTS PER GAL. :biggrin:

OCDP
05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
:razz: I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A 4 X 96 WATT PC Hamilton Technologies Retrofit AND MAN IT IS SO SWEET. THE QUESTION IS NOW WHAT CAN I KEEP REALLY GOOD WITH THIS KIND OF LIGHTING. I ALSO HAVE A NO 40 WATT ACTINIC TO HELP OUT, THE TANK IS A 70 GAL THAT IS 51” L X 20” W X 16”H.
WOULD I BE ABLE TO KEEP CLAMS, THE TOTAL WATT IS 424 THAT’S LIKE 6 WATTS PER GAL. :biggrin:

You can keep softies and LPS corals with PC lighting. I would definitely say no to clams.. they require as much light as possible, and PC's just don't cut it. I would stick to LPS and softies, nothing more. JMO. Not that you want to hear it now, but you should have just saved yourself the time and money and went with Metal Halide lighting. If you want to keep clams, that's the lighting you'll need. It's unfortunate , but PC's will not keep a clam alive and thriving. I would have went with halides, because it sounds like you know what you want to keep coral wise.. anyways, good luck.

Skimmerking
05-26-2006, 08:07 PM
well you can actually keep clams in there. BUT the problem with PC lighting is the intensity doesnt stay in the bulb for a long period. hopefully Brad or Steve and DOug will chime in here to give a better example ,because i suck at it/...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

OCDP
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I am sure dersea's or something like that would be a better candidate for PC lighting. I should have said, clams such as maxima and crocea will not suvive (or thrive at least... ) under PC's . It's almost like torturing the clam IMO... keeping it "alive" is one thing, but having it thrive and grow is another. It's not fair to the clam.. I would say no to Crocea's and Maxima's .. And let's just say he did get one of those clams under PC, what's the point? You don't get to observe any of it's beauty. As we all know, the beauty is in it's colour, that super bright , intense colouration they have.. without halides there wouldn't be that intense colouration. It just doesn't make sense in any way to keep a clam like that under PC's.

midgetwaiter
05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Well no offense Scott but have you ever tried keeping a clam under anything but MH? It can be done and done well if some prior conditions like water quality and calcium availability are met. Unfortunately most people that try to keep a clam under PC are people that are newer to the hobby (haven't heard the MH ranting over and over again) and probably are not doing a very good of keeping the rest of their house in order.

You can keep a crocea or blue maxima with that setup you just need to maintain the intensity, like asmodeus said. I'm not directly familiar with the ballast used in that fixture so I can't give a really solid opinion but I'd bet you would have to change your bulbs about every 4-5 months to maintain the output. If that is a really good electronic ballast, and it probably is, that period would be longer but you can't get a good idea of how long without a PAR meter. As the bulbs age their output diminishes an tends to shift spectrum a bit. The phosphors that do actinic blue wear out especially quickly.

So you could do it, but it would pretty much be stupid expensive to replace the bulbs all the time. If you haven't used the thing yet maybe try returning it and getting a T5 fixture or something.

OCDP
05-26-2006, 08:49 PM
I am sure it can be done, I don't doubt that..and no I haven't tried keeping clams under anything but MH, and that's the way I like it! But I have done enough reading on clams to know that they shouldn't be kept under PC's long-term.

The thing is, sure you can keep the clam alive under PC's, but will it thrive? I doubt it, it's just not the same intensity no matter what. I have no experience no, but I could make an assumption that higher light loving clams like crocea and maxima won't be too happy long-term under PC's.

Also, how often do you hear of people having a nice thriving beautiful clam collection under PC's ? If you do know of someone I'd love to hear about it. I have seen it with the T5's obviously.. but never PC's (and I am talking specifically about crocea's and maximas)

There's no sense in debating it really.. it's just my opinion. It's not fair to the clam really. But, I don't have experience so that's enough from me hah.

Fishguy52
05-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Ok, thanks everyone for the in put I never actually wonted to keep clams in this set up any way. I was just thinking aloud, but it would be cool if you could. I herd about some kind that does ok under a lot of pc once.
I think I will stick to the LPS and softies idea it will look just as cool.

StirCrazy
05-27-2006, 03:52 AM
simple answer... you can keep anything under PC's.. I have had several different LPS, SPS, Anemone, and yes a maxima clam (lived over a year and died as a result of a tank over temp, along with most of the tank) but and I mean a big BUT you have to position them properly in the tank, ie clam and SPS as high as you can get them.. I think I had them 8 to 10" under the surface at most. and I did notice a slight improvement in the SPS when I added a 175 watt MH, and a huge improvement when I went to 250watt SE on HQI ballasts. so it all comes down to how much rock you have to get them up where they need to be. Oh and as a side note some LPS do better under intense lighting also, My Brain loves MH, my mushrooms went nuts and spread all over under MH, ect...

Steve

midgetwaiter
05-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Also, how often do you hear of people having a nice thriving beautiful clam collection under PC's ? If you do know of someone I'd love to hear about it. I have seen it with the T5's obviously.. but never PC's (and I am talking specifically about crocea's and maximas)

You made my point for me. There is almost no difference between T5s and a PC on a good ballast. Everyone is all gaga over T5s but fail to realize that the same electronic ballasts that make T5s useful can run PCs just as well. Everyone tries to apply experience gained with PCs ten years ago against current technology, it isn't the same thing.

I've seen it work just fine with croceas. I have a maxima under el cheapo T5s right now as a mater of fact, it works great.

The only way T5s are considerably more powerful than PCs is the individual parabolic reflectors used in high end fixtures. At that point you are actually spending much more than an HQI MH setup anyway, I've never even heard of them being used much in North America.

Skimmerking
05-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I run my T-5's on a ice capp ballast overdriving them the bulb is 58 w now with the ballast they are 85W. So i have an extra 160 w of lights for supplment for viewing at night. You just need to keep them cool that is all.