PDA

View Full Version : Mag3600 anyone used one...

jgoldsney
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I am looking for a plug and play way to increase my flow, I have a mag 18 right now and was thinking of possibly bumping to a mag 36 to increase the flow. My plumbing right now is 1" so I should still be ok.

Has anyone used one and where would be the best place to get one.....also what other options would you suggest (I am pretty much stuck with a submersable due to space issues)

Joel

mr_alberta
05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
I think your 1" piping will kill the flow coming out of the Mag 36 and you might see very minimal gains.

jgoldsney
05-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Hmmm that sucks....the outlet on the 36 is 1" and unfortunately I can't go bigger without major modififcations.

danny zubot
05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I never knew they had a 3600, only up to a 2400. That thing must pump out the heat!!!

Anyway, any LFS that carries the Mag brand should be able to aquire that pump for you.

smellsfishy
05-23-2006, 03:48 PM
i have used one for a while but note the 3600 is a bit loud and almost impossible to find a replacement $80 impellor in stock anywhere, the thing is so powerfull. It really snaps that impellor on if you turn it on and off alot it eventually will develop stress cracks and break, but it is an incredilbly powerful/highflow pump . At present i use it with a homemade impellor, as a recirculating pump on my DIY dual becket skimmer.

jgoldsney
05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
smellsfishy - Regarding the heat issue have you found them to be hot? I know the mags are not the coolest pumps ever but some real world feedback on the 36 would be nice.....
BTW what did you do for your DIY impellor?

smellsfishy
05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
it's really hard to tell but if i remember correctly,when i used it as a return it wasn't terrible but it would feel a little warm, when you think about it all magnetically driven pumps will produce heat especially when submerged. Since they are basically a coil of wire the 3600 or any other of its size will just have more, remember also, there is 360 watts of power and around 3.6 amps of current going through that coil of wire it's bound to get warm. If at all possible i would recommend external pumps the only drawback to them is space and although small the greater possability of leaks.
As for the impeler, oooooo thats a secret lol. it took alot of trial and error, and still is. ain't it perty though. i'm sure it's not up to the 3600gph flow it's supposed to produce and likely doesn't have much head height but out of necessity and a little boredom, it works ok for my application. My skimmer is external and lots of volume so any heat produced is disapated so it's not an issue for me.

smellsfishy
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
sorry here's the pics of the impler

smellsfishy
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
one more

jgoldsney
05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice job on the DIY impellor....gonna have to file that away for future reference

Jaws
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I was using two at one point actually. One on a closed loop and one for return. The 1" pvc is fine but the noise is rediculous. It sounded like someone had a lawnmower in my living room. Since the tank is right beside my couches, I couldn't handle it. I eventually went to a Mag 24 and am happy with that. A little noise but being submersed and inside a stand kills most of it. Not nearly as much heat transfer either.