PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Probes

EmilyB
05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I have three extra ones for sale. $10 each.

They are these:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=mc-gp

muck
05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Mine. :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Deb I will take one. I will PM you my addy ok .

EmilyB
05-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry Mike, Ryan meant he wanted them all.

OCDP
05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Geez Ryan, greedy guts. :razz:

muck
05-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Me and Dad are splitting them. :wink:

TheReefGeek
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Make sure you still measure your tank once and a while for stray voltage, or the grounding probe might disguise a malfunctioning device.

bulletsworld
05-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Make sure you still measure your tank once and a while for stray voltage, or the grounding probe might disguise a malfunctioning device.

How does one measure for a stray voltage? Would u really know by sticking your hand in the water?

Emily, do you find a probe is a must have? Never used one, maybe I should have all these years.

Be curious of you guys thoughts on the subject.

Thanks a bunch,

TheReefGeek
05-17-2006, 08:49 PM
You use a voltmeter to measure for stray volts.

Stray volts won't hurt your fish. Current is what can. And a grounding probe takes any volts in the water, creates current across your tank and out via the grounding probe.

So you are actually creating current where there is none, when you use a grounding probe, potentially a problem, especially if a device fails on you. Under normal operation pumps and heaters put voltage into your tank, mine runs 4-5 volts without a grounding probe.

The major benefit is that it could save your life, if for example your lighting falls in your tank when your hands are in it.

I have read about benefits for long term fish health, some stuff about lateral line disease and such, but nothing concrete IMO.

Do I own a grounding probe? Yes. Do I have it plugged in? No. But that is mostly from lazyness. :)

EmilyB
05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
My husband is an electrician. If you have stray volts in your tank, and put your hand in, you can complete the circuit. This just might trip the gfci if you are lucky. However, if something starts to leak enough voltage, the ground probe will serve to trip the GFCI instead. I imagine he would explain it differently, lol, but that is my understanding. It's a safety measure he is adamnant about, or he won't stick HIS hand in there. :lol: