PDA

View Full Version : Xenia help

mark
05-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Well I'm finding out like others, Xenia can take over a tank.

Like to get the extra mounted on some rubble but not sure how. The original frags have split several times and is spreading out. Since is on a slope can't really surround with pieces of LR. Wondering if it can be pried off or will I need to cut. If I cut, what happens to the bit left behind?

Picture shows growth from one small piece after ~4 months (plug bottom, ctr). Brushed to get to retract for pic to show bases.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/xenia_r.jpg

mr_alberta
05-16-2006, 04:40 AM
You have to scrape it off your rock or it will just grow back. Scape a piece off and tie it with fishing line to a plug and it will attach.

muck
05-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Be warned... any little pieces left on your main rock will grow back. :wink:

Chin_Lee
05-16-2006, 06:22 AM
peel them off your rocks with your finger nails before you clip your nails. Or use a hard spatula. they peel off from the base rather easily and its like peeling a sticker off a piece of glass - sometimes it all comes off, and sometimes a piece gets left behind.

seashells
05-16-2006, 07:17 AM
I was trying to get rid of some aptasia. I found joes juice works good on the aptasia but also will take out xenias too.

Doug

Murminator
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I told you it would take over the world .......MUAHAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen:

Scavenger
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
If the xenia is just one one or two rocks and you have no other attached corals, I'd suggest pulling them out and pressure washing it and then cook the rock. They will regain their live rock status in a short time back in the tank.

Bill
05-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I just cut mine as close to the base as possible. Use sharp sissors. You can "sew" the frags (thread and needle) on pieces of rubble and it will attach in a couple weeks. Once they're attached, pull out the thread. The bits that are left on the rock will re-grow, but it may take a couple months before you can cut them again.

mark
05-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Don't want to kill them, just thin them out so I'll try the peel or cut thing.

I told you it would take over the world .......MUAHAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen:
And yes you did try to worn me but come on, they looked so calm and behaved sitting on those little plugs in your tank, never figured for mutants.

Bill's aren't much more behaved either, I think yours and his have formed a pact for global domination
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/xenia.jpg

Bill
05-19-2006, 12:52 AM
That's why I didn't show you my XENIA tank...