PDA

View Full Version : My power is out and has been all morning!!

AJ_77
05-22-2002, 05:09 PM
I feel for you, Jonny! I actually prayed out loud last night that the power would stay up. I heard the grid was down from Okotoks south. Can't believe it has affected you as well.

How are you maintaining temp? Floating bags of hot water? You've probably read many posts on RC by those Americans who are prone to natural/weather disasters and power outages.

Let us know how you're doing.

Alan

[ 22 May 2002, 22:26: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
05-22-2002, 05:24 PM
I couldn't stand to watch my pumps this morning. On for 5 minutes. Off for 5 seconds, on again. Off again. On again. Off again. Chunk chunk chunk. My poor pumps. I haven't been home for a few hours, I have no idea how things are doing at the moment.

The tanks should be able to handle flatlining for a little while, but yeah, after a few hours, I'm stressed out for sure.

Good luck to you Jon. At least your basement isn't developed!

Canadian Man
05-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks guy's, yea Tony i know what you mean i was going through the same. The only diffrence is when you have your sump plumbed in the basement the power has to go off for 20 seconds or my pump wont restart at full strength. so I also did alot of shutting off to restart and then 2 minutes later had to go through the same.

As far as maintaining temp, my furnace is electronic start so i was going to just crank the heat in the house but of course it would not start. so i turned the fireplace on high and had to come to work. I called Enmax and they said the power should be back on at 3:30 ish. Oh i wish i was home durring the restart.

Tau2301
05-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey Tony, sounds like Enmax was tring to create a wave maker for you. :D

Hope nothing was damaged or loss on either of your tanks.

Delphinus
05-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Everything is good on my end. I had to shake a few powerheads to get them started when I got home, as well as manually clear the air bubbles from my U-tubes. But other than that everything is fine. Yeah, nice wavemaker :D

I hope Jonathan's tank is OK. Sounds like he got the worst of things.

[ 22 May 2002, 19:22: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Canadian Man
05-23-2002, 01:40 AM
Well folks, Everything seems good here. the power was off for aprox 5 hours acording to how much i had to move my timer's foreward.
Nothing dead and everything has it's polyps expanded and looks happy.
Oh and no more floods from my skimmer either. I downsized the powerhead and backed off the flow a little.
Phew what a relief, It was a worriesome day at work today.

AJ_77
05-23-2002, 02:17 AM
Great to hear, Jonny! You up for company tomorrow night? :D

Maybe even delphinus will be available for a short drop-in... ;)

Alan

Canadian Man
05-23-2002, 04:34 AM
Dam I hate this, It hasnt happened to my tank yet up untill this morning. So power has been out since 10 am this morning and when i left at 1 pm it was still out. AHHHHHHH.
Turned on my fireplace to try to warm it up. Oh I also had a 5g flood in the basement this morning when my skimmer turned off and back on and poured water all over the flow. Ahh i shouldnt have such a strong powerhead on it.

Phew....good venting, thanks for listening, and wish me luck!

Tau2301
05-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Can I come too. I would like to see the overflow that Jon made in action.

Canadian Man
05-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Absolutley Kim!
It will be like a mid month meeting!
We are going out for dinner early and will be home no later than 7:30pm so hope to see tonight.
16114 everstone rd sw.

Bob all we need is you to complete the group!

Bob I
05-23-2002, 07:15 PM
I would love to come, but I am nearing my early shift week, and am tired. I need to get to bed around 9:30 pm

Tau2301
05-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Duh, I just re-read AJ_77 post and noticed the date was yesterday. So tomorrow is today and not Friday. :rolleyes:

That means that I will not be able to show up tonight as I am parenting tonight.

Sorry.

AJ_77
05-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Our power was out from about 3 - 4 AM last night. Anyone else?

But this morning everything was running as if nothing had happened - YAY. The waterline shows the sump was full, about 1 cm from the top. Gotta love it when things work; this was the first non-scheduled test.

BTW - got that other ballast hooked up with a T8 actinic and T12 10k. Seems alright, definitely better penetration. Patience, gentlemen, we're getting there... ;)