PDA

View Full Version : LFS on the Island?

ldzielak
11-27-2001, 08:36 PM
Having just moved back to the Island, I'm going through with drawl!! No more browsing the store for interesting items images/smiles/icon_sad.gif From what I have found there is nothing left for SW or reefers except in the Vitoria Area. Any stores worth seeing in Victoria?

gboots
11-27-2001, 09:39 PM
Good evening Lee,

There isn't much in Victoria right now, that I'm too happy with. There is a new one opening in the next week or so. Marine and fresh water aquatic only. No bunnys or iguanas (not that there is any thing wrong with bunnys or iguanas) Selection will be great and I'm sure the prices will be very competitive. I know the person opening the shop and have seen the setup. I think there will be alot availible not normally seen on the island. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

christyf5
11-27-2001, 10:22 PM
Hey keep us posted on that eh? I can't wait to check it out!

StirCrazy
11-28-2001, 01:59 AM
Glen do we have a date on that yet? or a location? I am off for the next 2 weeks so I will definatly be one of the first throught the doors if I know when the opening is hehe

Steve

PS. why are there stupid snowflakes falling across the board? images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DJ88
11-28-2001, 02:01 AM
Steve,

Take a peek at titus' post about christmas..

images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

StirCrazy
11-28-2001, 01:14 PM
hehe ya I saw that but isn't it funny how Titus puts snowflakes on here and now I wake up with snow in my yard? I live on the island we don't get snow.... hehe images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

gboots
11-28-2001, 01:48 PM
I'm going to see the owner of the new LFS in the next couple of days and will try to get a more concrete date. Until then enjoy the snow images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aquattro
11-28-2001, 07:48 PM
The new store, Hillside Marine-Tropical Aquatics, will be open for biz on Friday, Nov 30. Selection won't be great for the first little while until the tanks have really matured, but it will still be decent. No Hagen crap for sale there either. Lots of lighting stuff (VHO, MH, etc). Rock is competetively priced against the mail order shops. I think we're going to have a great store in Vic finally. It will be the kind of store you can drop in and have coffee and hang out watching all the little critters.

StirCrazy
11-28-2001, 08:56 PM
cool Brad but whare is it? hehe looks like i have my friday planed, now all I have to do is find out whare it is hehe..

Steve

christyf5
11-28-2001, 10:40 PM
Hey I just found the ad for the new store in Vic in our Nanaimo Newspaper. Its at (I hope its okay to put this here??) 1393 Hillside Ave and they are having their grand opening on Saturday Dec 1.

Aquattro
11-29-2001, 04:24 AM
Yup, that's where they are located. I was there tonight and it's looking pretty good. They'll actually be open for biz on Friday, but the official opening is Dec 1. Now all I have to do is build a website for the store!!

StirCrazy
11-29-2001, 06:56 PM
what time do they open tomorrow Brad?

Steve

One_Divided
11-29-2001, 10:50 PM
I know I'll be down there for sure tomorrow.. after work around 4-430.. I'll probably see some of you there!

StirCrazy
11-30-2001, 04:28 AM
ok i drove by this morning and peeked in the door. hehe are you sure they are going to be open tomorrow it looks like all there tanks are still empty.. but from the quick glimps I saw looks likt it might be good.

Steve

Aquattro
11-30-2001, 04:52 AM
good???? It'll be great!(for Vic). They have some livestock coming in today and tomorrow. But, as I said earlier, it will be a little while until they're fully stocked. They have some clams coming today if anyone is interested in clams! Overall, it should be a good thing for Victoria.

StirCrazy
11-30-2001, 06:04 PM
ok I went to hilside aquadics.. they are NOT open today, but they didn't mined me looking around,

Brad why didn't you just tell us it was Cora that owned it. this would explaine why the prices are going to be low as her family are fish pickers oversea and another member works for a airline and brings the stuff back for her (or this is how she used to do it when she had her other store open) images/smiles/icon_smile.gif She has the contacts.. LOL anyways it will be a normal size fish store from the looks and about 1/2 fresh 1/2 salt and a little reef, they did have two large rock curing tanks in the back they showed me er.. more like wadding pools images/smiles/icon_smile.gif the guy said that he Thinks LR is goign to be sold for 6.50/lb cured looks like it is going to be a nice shop but they had nothing priced yet and tonight is going to be there party for everyone who helped getting it going.. so they are not open but tomorrow they are and aparently there is going to be some deals tomorrow also.
I didn't see anything there to sugest it was the type of place to come hang out and have a coffe like Brad mentiond and no they didn't have hagen but the did have a sea clone for sale images/smiles/icon_smile.gif all and all it looks like it will be pretty good..

Steve

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
11-30-2001, 06:39 PM
Ya, they got a bit behind for today <g>. I noticed that seaclone on the shelf this morning and gave Cora shit! Were you there with a fiend? I was probably there when you were.
The coffee maker is in the back but you have to stand while drinking it. They don't actually sell coffee or they'd need to install a washroom for the public. The coffee is more for the regulars for when they come by and won't leave.:-)Prices should be going on sometime today and there is some livestock coming also. I'm just so excited to have somewhere on the island to shop, I don't care how ready they are. Hope to see you guys there over the week-end!

StirCrazy
11-30-2001, 07:21 PM
I was there at about 10ish by myself, I was talking to Wayne while I was there mostly .. might get him to weld togeather a stand for me after christmas.. I like the ones he did for the store. if you saw a guy with a beard and a black leather jacket and limping around on a cane.. that was me.

Steve

Aquattro
11-30-2001, 07:24 PM
Nope, didn't see you then. I was there at 11:30.

One_Divided
11-30-2001, 08:11 PM
SO I guess there's no point in goin down tonight eh?

StirCrazy
11-30-2001, 08:13 PM
go tomorrow Adam that is when the deals are going to be images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Steve

One_Divided
11-30-2001, 09:07 PM
I wanted to just go both days lol

Aquattro
12-01-2001, 03:52 AM
Adam, you were welcome to come by for a beer tonight. I bought a gorgeous blue maxima....about 4". All the acros sold as soon as they came out of the bag (and I missed them)

One_Divided
12-01-2001, 04:26 AM
I guess I did too! oh well, no big deal.. I'll be there tomorrow.

christyf5
12-02-2001, 03:46 PM
I was there in the afternoon. I was pretty disappointed as nothing was priced and they seemed to be making up prices as they went along. I was interested in what they called a black blenny (kinda looked like a bicolor but just black). They argued back and forth about what exactly it was and then the price went from $14.99 to $29.99 before she finally came back and told me it was $29.99. I was quite disappointed. I'll probly check it out again sometime but it was pretty much the same deal as safari where they made everything up as they went along. Hopefully things will get better farther down the road.

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

One_Divided
12-02-2001, 03:55 PM
I thought the store was great!

I got two firefish for $30, so I'm not complaining..

I'm sure they'll be a little while till they get everything priced out, but I was overall quite happy with the shop.

StirCrazy
12-02-2001, 07:48 PM
I was there again today (had to buy some prime for the fresh water tanks) and I got to talk to Cora, I guess things are a little disorganized as some stuff fell through and didn't come when it was suposed to and they had already had the ad in the paper so they felt it was better to open (eventhough they were not totaly ready) than to keep the doors shut when they had the opening in the paper.. I think we will see things get a littlemore organized as things go on... I was checking into light bulb prices .. no deal there so i guess albrite will be still seing a lot of busness hehe..

Steve

PS speaking of albrite does anyone in Victoria use 36" NO 03/actinic bulbs? and eed to buy more? I am thinking we could get a better price than 17.0 each of we bought lots hehe

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
12-03-2001, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christyf5:
but it was pretty much the same deal as safari where they made everything up as they went along Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christy, I think that's a little harsh! The store is open one day and you compare it to Safari?? Safari has been open for years and still makes up prices! Hillside is a bit disorganized and you slam them for it? The "black blenny" is 29.95 btw. Some prices are not great (ie, salt) but some are only slightly higher than J&L's price. I bought a 4" blue maxima on Friday from Hillside and I doubt I'd get a better deal anywhere. Both Cora and Mike are going to great lengths to get better prices for their customers and offer the best livestock available on the island. I call that a GOOD thing. They also like input from hobbyists on what WE would like to see in the store.
Oh well, guess you can't please everybody.

christyf5
12-03-2001, 08:31 PM
I didn't mean to be harsh but Cora was the same lady that was making up the prices at Safari and this was on two separate occasions. Once I saw her there I was kind of disheartened. How would you feel if you got bad service from someone at one store and then went to another and there they were again? Hey, all I can say is that if you are going to make up prices, don't talk so loudly that the customer can hear you. I heard their whole conversation, how was I supposed to know that I wasn't totally getting ripped off right? And yes their dry good prices were great. I guess I will wait awhile before I go back so they can get all the bugs sorted out.

Christy

DJ88
12-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Brad,

I think Christy has her reasons for thinking and feeling as she does. I know I had the same feelings shopping in Vic. I haven't been to the new store but until time has passed and it is a proven success and that one of it's owners has changed their stripes, I think Christy has a good reason for feeling that way. Discussing prices back and forth in front of a customer, disagreeing what the type of fish is and then going for the higher price with her in earshot, isn't very good business practice IMO.

But that is just me.

Don't come down on Christy. She wasn't harsh in her statement. She was honest. She said it as it was. If the owners of a store did something like that in front of me I would walk away and let others know what had transpired. It is one thing to be a bit disorganised when opening a new store. It is another to not know what you have in stock and have a difference of $15.00 between the two owners in the price of that fish and let a customer hear those disagreements, then charge her the higher price.

It is very exciting that there is a new store in Vic.

I hope it is all that it has been built up to be.

Vic needs it.

Aquattro
12-03-2001, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christyf5:
Cora was the same lady that was making up the prices at Safari and this was on two separate occasions. ".." How would you feel if you got bad service from someone at one store and then went to another and there they were again?" "I guess I will wait awhile before I go back so they can get all the bugs sorted out."

Christy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christy, unfortunately Cora was only an employee at Safari and doing her best to follow instructions.
I can see your point if you have had problems with her before.
As for the fish, they got an order 12 hours before you got there containing "ass't fish"....the black blenny was listed as one of many non-descript latin species and they hadn't had time to sort out the various fish they had received.
The fish is definately 29.95 and I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow.
Sorry to sound like I'm coming down on you but comparing ANYTHING to Safari gets me boiling :-)
I've been dealing with Cora for about 10 years now and I've never once had a problem.
I hope your next trip is more enjoyable and maybe we'll even meet there (I'm there alot).

Aquattro
12-03-2001, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:
Brad,

I think Christy has her reasons for thinking and feeling as she does. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Darren, but Christy was quite able to defend herself.

Hope you get a chance to drop by the new shop ...

DJ88
12-03-2001, 10:37 PM
Brad,

My reason for posting was that I found you jumped a bit quickly on her for saying what she had experienced.

If you did not like her posting something not favorable about the new store and it's owners, email her directly about it.

StirCrazy
12-03-2001, 10:45 PM
Hey Brad is that that black fish in the reef tank at the end of the store? if so you might not want it, it is putting the run on the other fish in that tank and acting pretty agressive.. hides in the rock and chases everything else away pretty agressivly.. oh I was there again today LOL

Steve

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
12-03-2001, 10:53 PM
Thanks Steve....I'll take a closer look(and it's Brad, not Bruce...Bruce is the thinner taller grey haired guy<g>)
I was able to not go there today, if I don't watch it, they'll ban me for loitering images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

StirCrazy
12-03-2001, 11:06 PM
haha, ya sorry I got my B's all mixed up hehe

Silverfish
12-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Brad, how dare you! images/smiles/icon_mad.gif It's silver--silver-haired guy! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif JK images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh ya, you also left out, nicely dressed, good looking.... images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BTW man, I have been looking for that peppermint shrimp since yesterday, and he is no where to be found! Me thinks the brittle star got him too! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
If I can catch him, he's goin' in my seafood chowder

I will let you know bout the shrimp tho

Aquattro
12-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Sorry Bruce, but at my age the eyes can't tell grey from silver. The well dressed good looking part I left out on purpose. Didn't want it going to your head!!!

One_Divided
12-04-2001, 02:46 AM
Christy, your best bet is to talk to Mike next time you are in the store. He'll give the better price (I think) and he really knows his stuff..

Mike was talking to me about letting us use the store on a certain night after hours for reef club meetings.. But I'll get in to that more later when I've talked to him a little more and they get things running (and at least priced!)

StirCrazy
12-04-2001, 02:59 AM
Ok one qustion for Brad, I know it is Cora's store but how does Mike fit into the picture?

Steve
I need a nap LOL

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
12-04-2001, 03:42 AM
Who's Brian??

Mike is the manager of the store. He is also the resident reef expert. The shop is basically his vision with outside (Cora) financing. Good guy to get to know.

BRAD

Jack
12-19-2001, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I've been surfing around and found this message board by luck through Shadtree's reef site. I am getting into the reef hobby and I'm 18, I'm about as hooked as you folks are. So far I have:
- 5 foot long 120 gallon glass tank
- Knop hang on skimmer
- custom stand
- 4 40 watt NO flourecents In DIY hood (will be used as actninc supply when i get 250 MH)
- small layer (1"?) need DSB
- near 100lbs base rock (lava)
- AquaClear 500 (carbon and gunk)
- Two Maxijet 1200's, 1 Hagen 301
- 250 watt ebo-jager
- digital thermometer

Yellow tang, 2 green chromis, 1 percula clown, anemone

Just thought I would say hi and let you guys know who I am and what i have so you can get fammiliar with me. I would like to make some locall reef friends, even though im 18. Talk to you guys later. I have an aunt and uncle in Victoria so I hope to check out that pet store somtime.

Troy F
12-19-2001, 09:15 PM
http://www.gifs.net/animate/welcome!.gif

Hi Jack, glad you happened upon us.

Silverfish
12-19-2001, 09:18 PM
Hi Jack, welcome to the board!

If you are in Vic, let us know and maybe we can meet up.

Bruce

DJ88
12-19-2001, 10:08 PM
Hey Jack,

as the 100th member I made this for ya..

(and to add to Troy's colors..)

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/welcome.gif

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Jack
12-20-2001, 04:14 AM
wahoo, one day and I already like you guys! Thanks for the warm welcome. Man, I didn't mean to post my message in the middle of this one. Oops, I'm still new. I was reading all the messages and then I see mine. After that there is just WELCOME in font size 124. Thanks though guys, and If im ever in or going to victoria I will let you know I'm comming, I think it would be great to see you guys and the stores and buy/learn a lot. Thanks again!