PDA

View Full Version : Aragonite locally ?

Buccaneer
05-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I need ALOT of sand for the new tank

Apparently I saw the " look " on my wife's face when I told her that the new tank was going to be BB :eek:

Now since I sold the old house with the 330G in it I have basically been running a BB FOWLR 270G with a few softies & a RBTA ( the SPS did not make it through the move :cry: )

It has been a few years since I have had to buy sand and the guy I bought my first aragonite sand from is no longer around.

Any suggestions from the local crowd on where to get aragonite based sand in bulk ( read wholesale pricing :wink: )

spikehs
05-15-2006, 07:25 PM
doesn't saltwaterconnection ship out a pallet for a reasonable price? They shipped it out to us once before... just a thought.

howdy20012002
05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
If I may make a suggestion, have you thought about play sand.
I might look at putting playsand as the base than put the argonite as a top layer if you are concerned with looks
Home depot has playsand at 55 lbs for 5 bucks.
ALOT cheaper option.
I use playsand in a couple of my tanks with no noticable problems at all.
All the research I did on the subject suggests that the pH buffering abilities of the argonite is negilible.
So yeah..just an idea to save you a few bucks - if that is any concern at all.
Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks
Just my 2 cents worth
Neal

BMW Rider
05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
The main downside to using play sand, is that it is not a calcium based sand that is generally sold here, it is usually silicate sand. That stuff can really scratch up your glass if you happen to get it in your cleaner pad.

allincuddy
05-17-2006, 04:58 AM
The only real way to dissolve the argonite in your tank, is to have a PH level so low that it would be rather difficult to grow anything in the tank. I think you would need a PH level of 7.5 for the argonite to disolve enough to cause an impact.
Might be wrong, but ?
Mark

mark
05-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Can't comment where to find in bulk locally but calcium based sand definitely dissolves with normal tank pH. In my 75g, would need to add a layer every few months as would start seeing my LR supports.