PDA

View Full Version : brown stuff on glass

fishguyxd
05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I have had some rustic brown film coating my tank glass, at the moment I can't remember what it is I believe its a algea, over the past few weeks I had low ph & carbonates in the tank and have since only added reef builder,but this film grows fairly rapid not covering the whole tank but blochy in only a few days.Anyone give me a quick review on what they think it is and what I should do thanks I have I believe 90+ lbs of LR and only 5 fish ,most small so not a heavy bio.

Scavenger
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Sounds like diatoms. They are a normal part of the "growing pains" of a new reef. They should fade away in time but you are likely to have cyno (purple slime) next. As the tank matures and stabilizes this too should fade. All in all this is a normal process for a new reef.

fishguyxd
05-15-2006, 08:29 PM
the tank ha been running for 1 yr or so with corals and fish
the brown is not bubble type or in the sand it's just a film on glass

RonPeter
05-16-2006, 01:15 AM
It definitely sounds like diatoms, how old are your lights? Maybe it is time to replace them.

fishguyxd
05-16-2006, 01:19 PM
lights probable do require replacement , Soo I getting this brown stuff because I do not have enough light or ??? ,corals are happy etc, the other thing I did was reaquascape then I noticed it alot more so I don't know i stirred up sand bed some what.

Ruth
05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
I know that if I have been feeding a bit too much I will get brown algea on my glass as well so don't know if that could apply? Stirring up your sand bed can also cause some nasties to get released resulting in a diatom bloom.

RonPeter
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Definitely if you stirred up a bit of the sand bed you will have released some nasties! :) It should clear up soon if that's the case.

Murminator
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey Al I went through a real bad spell of this it just seems to stick to the glass and the equipment. I reduced my feedings to once a day and reduce my lights a couple hours and added a lot more snails cleared up right away. :mrgreen:

fishguyxd
05-17-2006, 07:02 PM
thanks I have to get more snails anyways