PDA

View Full Version : Where's the good LFS in Calgary?

CHEAPREEF
05-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, i'm coming down for the rally races on the weekend and need to find some actinic bulbs. I can't find any up here and would like to get my canopy finished. So where's the best place to go for them? Also if anyone is going to be around Saturday night i wouldn't mind taking a look at a tank or two. :D Anyway thanks in advance.

Clinton

Delphinus
05-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Actinic bulbs, ooh. You can get them at any LFS here in Calgary but none really at a price remotely competitive to mail-order. But if you want to look around, try Big Al's, Pisces, Wai's, Riverfront, Ocean's, Tails-n-Scales. There are a few others but I can't think of them offhand.

Having seen first-hand for myself the selection of LFS up in your neck of the woods, I think I have to say this is one area we've got you beat (at least you guys got spared the snow this week though).

If you are going to only visit one LFS, go to Wai's. Wai's Aquarium (http://www.waisaquarium.com). It is on 16th Ave NE near Center St., across the street from Peters Drive In. This place is an absolute candy store! Compared to any of the places I found in Edmonton ... no comparison, really (although it's no Tropicorium, let me tell you. If you're ever in Detroit ... this is the LFS that all other LFS's could only dream of being. But I digress.) I have to say, Danny (Wai) has really chopped his prices compared to years past. I used to complain that his prices were too high. But nowadays he's actually pretty competitive. Whether this is because other places have caught up to him, or he's lowered his prices, or a bit of both, I can't really say. But definitely comparable to other places (certainly has the best selection of livestock in Calgary, and the healthiest), some things even better.

But, Tails-n-Scales isn't bad either (they're a basement op though so you have to call first to see if they're there): (403)254-9227 (I think... somebody correct me please if I'm wrong). Down in the DeepSouthOfTheCity(tm).

Or Big Al's (by Heritage and MacLeod), Pisces (up near the airport, McNightMare, er .. McKnight Blvd), Riverfront (downtown), um ... who am I forgetting ... there are a bunch of others that are worth a look, there's one just north of Wai's up on Center St. called Oceans I think, there's another one on 17th Av SE, but I forget the name ...

Enough rambling for now ... hope this helps. Post if you want any more info on any of them!

cheers

CHEAPREEF
05-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, it's not that i can't get them here it's that they don't have stock right now. Do you know off hand what the price on a 48" actinic is? I think i'll stop into Wai's on sunday first thing in the morning.

Clinton

Bob I
05-23-2002, 11:35 PM
If you go to Wai's first thing in the morning you will be there by yourself. As far as I know he does'nt open until 11:00 am.
Bob

Tau2301
05-23-2002, 11:45 PM
I bought my last Actinic at Tails & Scales. Philiphs TL 03, great bulb, T12 48" for $25+Gst.

I plan on adding a second one to my tank after I finish building my new hood.

According to the specs this bulb does not emit UV. Philiphs make another one that does emit UV.

Correct Ph: 403-256-9227

They also have the best prices on hardware that I have found.

CHEAPREEF
05-24-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks guys maybe i'll try Tails & Scales, we have one down here but it's only freshwater and very little of it. Bob, Wai's web site says they're supposed to be open at 10:00 am.

Clinton

FishGeek
05-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Hey clinton! Ours is scales and tales, not the other! no relation at all! Just to let you know!

Simon

CHEAPREEF
05-24-2002, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the correction Simon, just not with it today.

Clinton

Bob I
05-25-2002, 04:37 AM
Of course for me first thing is 7 or 8:00 am. 10:00 AM is probably correct. It may be that he opens at 11:00 AM on Wednesdays. I know one day is later.
Bob