PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang verses copperband butterfly

howdy20012002
05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
i have a yellow tang and and a copperband butterfly.
I tried to put the butterfly in a 90 with the tang and it got the crap beat out of him.
how much abuse can a butterfly take? it was mainly just chasing around but the tang would occasionally hit him.
I built a cage out of eggcrate and was going to float it with the copperband in it for a couple of days to see if that would work..allowing the fish to get used to each other without hurting each other.
Any other ideas?
or should i just look for a new home for my butterfly?
What are the chances that I could come home to a dead fish?
any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Neal

trilinearmipmap
05-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I put a copperband in with my YT about a year ago. For the first week the copperband hid, now he is out all the time. The YT's aggression toward the CBB has decreased over time. The CBB is such an agile swimmer that the YT can't really catch him.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Build a hidding place structure, such as a maze made out of rocks or some eggcrate pieces attached together, so the CBB has something to hide behind/swim around to get away from the YT.

2. Feed well, the YT will be more aggressive when he is hungry

3. After lights-out at night give the CBB a feeding, the other fish will be hiding in the rocks at night but the CBB will be out hunting for food.

Doug
05-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I have seen situations where the tangs will not leave the copperbands alone. This seems to be the worse with larger copperbands. We had to remove one from a friends tank because of his yellow. Found a small copperband & the same yellow ignored it.

When I added my 2yr. old copperband back to my tank with a kole in it, the same happened. I removed the kole until the copperband was established and then replaced him and they were fine.