PDA

View Full Version : puple tang and a yellow tang?

possitive k
05-11-2006, 11:11 PM
can a purple tang and a yellow tank be together in the same tank, without a outbreak in ich or one killing the other?

thanks

TheReefGeek
05-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Depends on the particular fish, if you try it, add both at the same time.

StirCrazy
05-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I am going to say in 99% of the cases no. they are the same species type (body shape) and both very teratorial, the purple being more so. you will either need a very large tank so they don't see each other very often or I would say one of them will end up dead. but befor people stary ranting about how they had them do ok, there are always exceptions:mrgreen:

Steve

Skimmerking
05-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I am going to say in 99% of the cases no. they are the same species type (body shape) and both very teratorial, the purple being more so. you will either need a very large tank so they don't see each other very often or I would say one of them will end up dead. but befor people stary ranting about how they had them do ok, there are always exceptions:mrgreen:

Steve

I will back Steve up on this one. And With my self having a Purple and a yellow in the same tank they fought really bad. But there were times that they swam together for the whole day. SO its a hit and a miss with those too.

But on the other hand I have a Large Lavender tang with a Kole tang same family and they are gettign along in my 170 gal tank... but they still bug back and forth.

smellsfishy
05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
i've had this combo for months and never had problems. note there are lot's of places to hide in my tank but they are always out chummin around like best bud's.

TheReefGeek
05-12-2006, 02:23 AM
As mentioned, its hit and miss. There are tang combos that have higher success chances than these two because of the body shapes.

Bill
05-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I have both in my 180g with lots of places to hide. There's some minor fights around feeding time but no torn fins.

TheReefGeek
05-12-2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/may06/pan098.jpg

Chin_Lee
05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I concur with the people who are saying its hit and miss. Just as long as you are mentally and financially prepared to lose a fish or two or three in the process. Its nothing for me to brag about but to share with you my experience, I did lose two yellow tangs in my process and I finally bought one that was as aggressive as the purple. After the purple realized this guy can't be beat, he learned to get aong.

bluetang
05-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I added a Purple tang in with a yellow tang and for about 2 weeks the yellow tang beat the @^%* out of the purple guy even though he was bigger. They have since come up with a agreement are now best of friends.