PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves

muck
05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Anyone else keep any mangroves?
I picked up a bunch of them awhile back for my fuge/sump/becauseicould. :razz:

Delphinus
05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I do. Slowest growing things in the world for me though. Grown about a foot in about 3 years. Seems kinda pointless to me, but I think that growth rate is not typical. Maybe it depends on how they're growing or what kind of light they get (I just have a plant grow bulb for them but maybe it's not enough).

muck
05-10-2006, 04:12 PM
It seems mine have grown about an inch in a months time.. :eek:

Quinster
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I have 3 in my refugium, they are actually growing past my lighting. I like them no matter if they are really doing anthing or not, they always get commented on. Very cool looking plant.

Chin_Lee
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I think the big debate on these plants are rate of nutrient absorption compared to other macroalgaes that are able to absorb nutrients faster. It kinda made sense to me that the macroalgaes that can grow faster are able to absorb nutrients from your system faster than the mangrove who grows rather slowly in comparison. But nevertheless, they do look cool and I had some a few years ago but due to neglect, I lost them all.

Delphinus
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Quinn - I'd love to hear more about how you have yours setup. I agree, cool plants, I just wish mine would.. y'know.. kinda grow or something. I started them off as pods though, so the fact that they are easily ID'able as little plantlets now instead of a "pod with a leaf" or something, is at least good, but I just wish they'd grow a little faster.

Quinster
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Hello Tony,

If you look at the pic below it is an old one of my refugium. Where it is blackened out on the left side, there is a tray 1/2 way up that I used to place base rock or frag plugs for curing. When I got the mangroves they were 8" pods with 2 - 3" roots on them, now they are 10 - 12" with 6 - 10 leaves on each, and the root system is 6 - 8" long. I have 2 phillips marathon spiral CF bulbs and 2 2' phillips plant and aquarium bulbs over my fuge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Equipment/MVC-090F.jpg

HTH, will get some newer pics so you can see the growth.
(gee looking at that pic, does my wiring look messy...:redface: )