PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer questions

jgoldsney
05-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok I am running this skimmer
http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/skimmer/clean200.htm
http://www.wonbrothers.com/images/cu200.jpg
I purchased it from Aquagiant and it seemed to function fine on my old tank the only problem being that I had it in a section of my sump that the water level fluctuated due to evaporation so its skimming was on and off due to the fluctuations in level.

I now have it in my new sump with a nice fixed level and it doesn't skim at all, there are plenty of bubbles and a good head of foam but nothing seems to even be scuming up the sides of the skimmer.

My bio load is way down (a couple of clowns and an algae blenny) is it possible that I just don't have enough crap in the water to skim out?

TheReefGeek
05-05-2006, 03:14 PM
I assume there is some sort of adjustment on the skimmer, I would raise the "bubble height" further up the neck of the skimmer.

You could also try giving everything a thorough vinigar cleaning, especially any injectors or venturis.

But with such a low bioload and depending on what else you do for maintenance and water quality, you might not have a ton to skim. In which case I would increase the bubble height even more, and skim really wet.

jgoldsney
05-05-2006, 03:52 PM
There is an adjustment valve but with the way it is acting it is really hard to tune. It is verry sensitive and it seems it either does nothing or fills the cup in minutes

mr_alberta
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
You can try adjusting the amount of air going into the skimmer as well since that will also affect your water height.

TheReefGeek
05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Is it all cleaned out?

jgoldsney
05-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Is bright shiny clean....when I switched tanks I had it pulled out.....I know it usualy takes a few days to get going but I have had it running for at least a couple of weeks

TheReefGeek
05-05-2006, 05:41 PM
What does the adjustment valve control? Does it vary the water height in the neck of the skimmer, or the air intake?

TheReefGeek
05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
What pump are you using on it? How big is your tank?

Skimmerking
05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
well if you are looking at the picture the small valve that where the water comes out of is for water control to raise and lower the water level in the skimmer just like the Beckett. THe other one is for the amount of air that is sucked in to for creating bubbles . HTH

mike the key to these skimmer is to find the smallest size bubbles being created and then leave it.. Once the is sorted out yo want to find the happy spot for the skimmer . just by looking at it I would say that the second highest brown flange that connects the bottom of the collection cup to the main body.

mike