PDA

View Full Version : All Glass 65g MegaFlow

Doug
05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
So, anyone else have something similar? How the heck does that thin temerered glass hold all my rock? :lol: Thats 24in. high.

I,ve placed nice large base rocks on the bottom, so the spacing is fine and not worried about falling rock, just the dead weight on it.

All previous tanks have been a minimum of 1/2in. glass, resting on 1in. styro. Of course no such thing under the braced All Glass design. Sheez, so just the glass supports the weight.

Doug
05-13-2006, 11:13 PM
:sleeping:

danny zubot
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty sure my 65 only has 3/8 glass. I've never had an issue with it. I've even chopped out the center brace and replaced it with glass. I've never dropped a large rock in it though, hope I never do.

Doug
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Danny,
Thanks for the reply. I cant tell, but we think mine is not even that. Pretty sure its tempered 5/16th. glass. Its just that suspended bottom that gives me the "willies".

Thats all I need in my new home. 60gals of water running across the floor & into the heating ducts. :surprise:

danny zubot
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I had a tank with a cracked bottom once. I took an exact thickness of wood and siliconed it to the bottom. You could do the same to re-inforce it.

Is there no black bracing around the base of the tank?

Quagmire
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
I was in home depot the other day and noticed they were selling 2'x4' pcs of acrylic of differant thicknesses.I picked some up for baffles in my sump.Maybe something like that added to the bottom will help,or at least make you feel safer
The cost wasn't too bad.I think between $15 and $35 depending on the thickness,

Doug
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Is there no black bracing around the base of the tank?

Yes, its well braced with the complete black trim. It has the center black brace under the bottom also. Like mentioned though, its the bottom glass being off the stand that worries me.

Seems all the downward pressure would be pushing on the glass & bracing, instead of spread out on frameless glass that sits on styro.

Doug
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
I was in home depot the other day and noticed they were selling 2'x4' pcs of acrylic of differant thicknesses.I picked some up for baffles in my sump.Maybe something like that added to the bottom will help,or at least make you feel safer
The cost wasn't too bad.I think between $15 and $35 depending on the thickness,

Thanks. As I mentioned above, not to worried anymore about falling rock on the glass. I removed much of it to the sump, {again because of the worry about the weight on the suspended bottom}. I only have my good Fiji in there and its well placed.

I was going to use Starboard at the start, but alas, its like looking for some alien species around here.