PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to AJ_77

Delphinus
05-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Thanks to Alan and his family for their hospitality for hosting this month's meeting and frag swap!

I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

Looking forward to next month's meeting now!

PS. I'm curious Alan, of what significance is the "77"? :D

AJ_77
05-08-2002, 12:08 PM
You are very welcome, Tony. What a big day in the life of my young system. (Hey, there's something IN there!!) Thanks to all who came, esp. those who came with gifts! :D

Looking forward to more merriment next month, for sure.

The "77" is distinguishing - there seems to be a lot of AJ's out there. For example, the whimsical ~@*=?AJ?=*@~ dude at aqpros or wherever.

BTW, those frags look Very Cool under the actinics - purple and flooressent green. Very niiiice, thanks again guys!

Alan

Tau2301
05-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Thanks to Alan and his wife, Margaret, for hosting the meeting. Margaret has officially dubbed us as the “Fish Nerds.”

Thanks to Tony who made it seem like Christmas with all of the frags that he brought. They look terrific in my tank.

I still think Alan needs to build a tiny cruise ship with flashing LEDs to really simulate an ocean scene.

Canadian Man
05-08-2002, 01:06 PM
And I will throw a third thanks in to the mix just for good luck.
Thanks To All!
Another wonderful meeting, sure would have loved to see some new faces in the mix but was good either way.
:cool:

AJ_77
05-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Tau2301:
Thanks to Alan and his wife, Margaret, for hosting the meeting. Margaret has officially dubbed us as the “Fish Nerds.”<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kim, I believe her term is actually "Fish Boys."

Sounds better. ;)

Canadian Man
05-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Tanks but da tank is all done now and dey are joined together and dey be going all day, while i'm ad work. ;)

Hopefully all my rock and sand in the main tank will take care of it.
I added the sand last night in the refugium and didnt cycle water through it just let it settle.
It was this morning that I started the flow through the refugium. And slowly watched my tank turn to milk! Yea

Delphinus
05-08-2002, 05:51 PM
I imagine the sand will settle out in a few days... Maybe in the meantime run some polyfilter (filter floss) if your fish are looking a little distressed. Good luck!

Bob I
05-08-2002, 07:23 PM
Add my thanks also, and yes I too believe it was something like "Fishboys", although the epithet "Nerds" was also brought up. I believe that was attributed to Jonathan's wife.

I am looking at my rather large Hairy Mushrooms, and something needs to be done. I think one or two should be set free in Alan's tank. BTW Deb did just that, and eventually it found a place to settle.

I like my little system, but it cannot really tolerate very large things.

Tony your Polyps are opening up. Do they make those red, hard sheaths themselves? If so would we consider them stony?

Our club should start a library. The first item of purchase should be a coral book. (Mops has a CD for $50.00 BTW)

AJ_77
05-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Bob, I would like very much a hairy mushroom. (Sounds kinky.) And the conch shell sounds like a winner also. I am accumulating a debt of good nature.

How's your caulerpa? Do you need some?

Alan

Bob I
05-08-2002, 08:18 PM
As to the Shroom, just tell me when. I purchased the Conch from Big Al's, but that should be no prob. We can try it to see if the clowns take to it. I like to see happy clowns :D

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Sounds good - I'll give you a call soon, OK? Is the conch shell worth money? I don't want to assume anything, even if it is for happy clowns.

You got halimeda last night, right? And how is your caulerpa, you had mentioned it's sorry state. If you need some, I'll be trimming real soon.

Cheers,

AJ

Canadian Man
05-09-2002, 01:22 AM
Oh Oh Um Mr. Alan I need some calurpa for my New Fancy Refigium. so when you make it this far please keep me in find for the clippings.

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 04:33 AM
Jon:

Further to last night, you might want to put aside 2 dozen or more of those pieces of rubble.

Just a thought - if they're that useful, and Tony's xenia won't cool it a bit, growthwise. ;)

Cheers!

Canadian Man
05-09-2002, 04:41 AM
no prob.
Tony took a handful of them last night.
I will put them all in my refugium and if any one needs pieces just let me know.
Man i added that sand last night and now my tank's look like milk!!! very disheartning and my yellow tang didnt look too healthy this morning.
oh well wait and see.

[ 08 May 2002, 12:42: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 04:58 AM
Jon, I don't know if you should run that sand through/with your main system. It's going to cycle; I thought you'd have it separate - in the sump - before letting it "join" the main tank water.

Guess I didn't give it much thought last night. I put mine all together, but the two cycled together and settled out together.

You might consider "quarantining" the sump tank for awhile.

Alan

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Sure Jon, it's growing well. There seems to be 2 strains in the mix; from the pictures I've seen one is Grape and the other is Razor. Bob thinks they're both grape, perhaps they are.

With this in your sump and the halimeda in the tank, will there be any excess nutrients??? My snails are looking pretty darn hungry (one seems to have kicked over yesterday), and the rocks and sand are getting pretty sterile-looking.

But yeah, we'll hook up for some free weed. I need to get down for a tank tour. :D smile.gif :D

Alan

Delphinus
05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Hey Alan, you are feeding your sand bed, right?

(If not, shove some food into the top 1" of sand every once in a while. Your worms and nass's will thank you.. ;) )

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Ummm... the food that falls ON it isn't enough, is that what you're saying? Doh. No, I haven't been feeding my sandbed. Some help, please:

1. How much food?
2. What type of foods?
3. How often?
4. Sump sandbed as well?

Thanks.
(Oh, and BTW, it's the Astreas that seem to be doing Too Good of a job, the glass and rocks are pretty durn clean. Can I do anything for them, or be thankful for less algae??)

[ 09 May 2002, 08:27: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
05-09-2002, 12:54 PM
If there's food falling on it, it's probably enough, so no worries. But what I'd do, like maybe once a week or so, is take a square of frozen food, and just jam it into the sandbed, and let the 'pods and nass and brittlestars go at it. (It's a neat sight too, so it's kind of fun to watch. smile.gif )

1. How much food?
I'd say about a half inch square, not too much.

2. What type of foods?
Just about anything will do!

3. How often?
I'd start with once or twice a week. If you notice any NO3 accumulating, cut back. But otherwise ...

4. Sump sandbed as well?
I would...

(PS. I don't know what to say about the astreas. I have heard of people feeding astreas and turbos little pieces of nori because they thought the snails weren't getting enough to eat ... I've never done this. My tank is pretty heavily loaded, though, so there's always a thin thin film of algae for them to clean off the glass. I do put nori in my tank once in a while, but it's mostly for the tang's benefit (and I think he gets most of it, although it's not inconceivable that others might be sneaking a bite or two at night or when I'm not watching...) I guess if they start to die on you or look weak or something, it may be worth a try to see if they'll nibble at nori ... but otherwise I'd probably not sweat it..)

[ 09 May 2002, 08:59: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Bob I
05-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Alan, my Caulerpa is recovering nicely. The reason I said it all grape is because I originally only received Grape from my source. That looked totally different from anything I have now (it is highly variable) It changes shape as it goes along. I had on piece left that looked like Grape, but it has done its dying off trick.

I got those Conches fairly inexpensively from Big Al's. They were only $15.00 each.

[ 09 May 2002, 14:43: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

AJ_77
05-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey, Jonny! How's your silty/milky tank? Clearing out now, we hope. Any lingering effects on the Tang?

Cheers,

Alan :D

AJ_77
05-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Terrible news, Jon. Sorry to hear that. Hope his buddy is OK soon.

Alan

[ 10 May 2002, 13:59: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Canadian Man
05-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Well his buddy seems to be getting over it. He is out and about today

Bob I
05-10-2002, 09:36 PM
I too am sorry to hear of your misfortune, but look at it this way, now you can try something new. smile.gif

[ 10 May 2002, 17:36: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Canadian Man
05-11-2002, 04:52 AM
UPDATE.
I have been running quilting batting/filter floss in an aqua clear and it is all clear as of yesterday, Tony can vouch for me as he was over last night checking things out.
As for the Tang....
Well my yellow one is dead :( I dont believe it had anything to do with the sand i added. Reason is because every other fish is and was fine. All the other fish seem to be mourning, especially my other tang, he looks sad and is hiding cause he misses his buddy.

Canadian Man
05-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Very true Bob, Hmmmm What fish to replace him?
Hey how are you guys getting those funky pig/tiger pics under your name?

AJ_77
05-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Jon, modify your profile to include an "Avatar." There you are!