PDA

View Full Version : New tank on the go

rudy
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I am getting a new tank looking for opinions on it and the setup

It will be a 150 gallon 4 feet by 30 inches wide by 24 high. I am going to have a center overflow of 1.5 inch drain and 2 1 in return plumbed into the overflow.

I am looking for suggestions on first of all the type of sump I should use whether just a tank partioned with egg crate and a sand bed, or have something specifically built for it. I am new with salt water sumps so I really don't know what is best. This will be a FOWLR set up if that helps.
A big focus will be noise reduction so any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Also what should I use as return pump, or pumps (how much flow should I go for.

Thanks in advance and pics of others tanks would be great.

TheReefGeek
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I would use 2 x 1.5" drains for redundancy, just run a pump that maxes out 1, then if one clogs/fails you dont have a problem.

I wouldn't put too much flow through, a mag 9 would be plenty. Don't rely on your return pump for too much flow, you can run into micro bubble troubles.

Depending on your skimmer type, you could match up your return pump to the amount of water volume your skimmer needs, and just plumb the drain lines right into the skimmer.

mark
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I've got similair sized tank (145g) with a 75g sump.

The sump basically is a 75g drilled for a 1.5" bulkhead (external return pump). It came with glass siliconed on the sides for eggcrating and foam but ended up just using 3-10" glass panels for over/under/over baffles and seems to be working ok.

Though FOWLR doesn't need as much flow as a reef tank but unless you have a closed loop or planning on power heads for the tank you be relying on the sump for flow. Should figure how much flow you want/need and size from there. Also for sizing sump consider the foot print of the skimmer your planning.

Noise was a concern for me so in addition to the CL bulkheads I have 2-2" drains and 1-1" return (two overflow towers) using Dursos and probably 1000gph from the basement sump return. Water is dropping ~2" and noise is about what you would hear from some of those table top fountains. Now if the Dart on the closed loop was quieter I'd really be happy.