View Full Version : New pics posted

Bob I
05-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Okay fishboys, the new pics are up. Please have a look. :eek:
http://www.therockies.com/rcipema

[ 09 May 2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Jack
05-09-2002, 09:10 PM
boy does that bulb ever look sweet. I am definatley going to 10 000k, forget this Iwasaki buisness ;) lol

AJ_77
05-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Mmmmmm... Green hairy mushrooooooms...

Uh, I mean, nice photos, Bob. Is the blue kind of eerie in person, or is the contrast just that striking? It looks rather impressive. Are you pleased, or waiting until you have it a few days before passing judgment?

Alan

Tau2301
05-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey Bob, the tank looks great. I see that you have busted another myth - a cleaner wrasse is only suppose to live 6 months not two years plus, or so I have read on a lot of forums.

Bob I
05-09-2002, 11:20 PM
No Alan, it is not at all eerie, The lighting is intense, and leans toward a light purple. It is well balanced, and I am pleased with it. :cool:

Bob I
05-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Kim that wrasse is the only survivor of my major screwups in the early days. Those days I lost a Lemon Peel, a Flame Angel, Royal Grama, and some other things I don't even remember

Canadian Man
05-10-2002, 12:00 AM
WOW!
Very nice looking tanks Bob!
Love the lighting set up. Like you said, your corals seem to love it too!

Delphinus
05-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Looking pretty good there Bob. You will be amazed what things look like a year from now, I guarantee it. :D

(Hmmm.... I remember, once someone telling me that they would unequivocally never use halides... :D )

AJ_77
05-10-2002, 03:52 PM
I'd like to pop over and see your lighting in action, Bob. Maybe today on the way home from work? Would the dinner hour be convenient for you?

Cheers,
Alan

Bob I
05-10-2002, 05:33 PM
No problem, just tell me the approximate time so I can be dressed for the occasion :D , and will you be picking up a shroom or two and the shell at the same time?
Bob

AJ_77
05-10-2002, 05:52 PM
With Friday traffic, I can be to your place before 5:30, if you're agreeable. And whatever quantity of shrooms you think is appropriate will be very much appreciated, thank you. smile.gif

The shell sounds like a good idea, too. Do you have "try before you buy?" ;)

Alan

[ 10 May 2002, 14:01: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

DJ88
05-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Looks really good Bob. smile.gif Nice tank and set up.

Kim,

I don't know if it is that he has busted a myth it is more likely that Bob was one of the lucky ones and bought a cleaner that will eat prepared foodstuffs. Like the six line I lucked out with and it ate flatworms. It isn't the norm for cleaner wrasses to live as they only eat parasites and dead matter off of other fish. So unless you have a huge tank a cleaner wrasse will starve.

Bob I
05-10-2002, 07:57 PM
So I could really split hairs about cleaner Wrasses. Some books say they are obligate feeders, and will only eat parasites or starve. A parasite is in reality is protein , and fats etc. no different that Mysis Shrimp, or Brine Shrimp, or dried food for that matter. If they eat other foods they will live well. Therefore, if they will eat other foods when first introduced, they will be fine, so they are not really obligate feeders. Mine eats anything, and will live out his normal lifespan unless something happens. I only keep him to see just how long he lives. It is not one of my favorite fish at all. BTW He likes the feelers on snails, so my Astreas always have to keep their feelers hidden.

[ 10 May 2002, 15:58: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

DJ88
05-10-2002, 08:29 PM
If they eat other foods they will live well <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is exactly the crux of the whole problem with cleaner wrasses. Most don't eat other than those parasites and dead scales and such from other fish. Some eat prepared food, most(I'd say 95%) don't. Yes mysis, pods, parasites, what have you are protein, that doesn't mean that is what these fish eat in nature. Some figure out that this stuff floating around in the tank is a food source. Most don't. Cleaner wrasses have developed a very specific niche in nature. To clean off other fish on the reef.

If I was to go to any LFS right now I can honestly say none of the cleaners in any store will eat the prepared food. If I see one that does I am always amazed. That is few and far between. Personally I have seen maybe ten out of the hundreds I have seen come through various stores I have visited eat prepared food. fully half die before they leave the store, more die shortly after. They are still obligate feeders as such. If a relatively small number have adapted and eat foodstuffs being offered for them doesn't mean the fish aren't obligate feeders. When the books say obligate they are talking of what they eat in nature and only there. Things that happen in our tanks are not always what happens in nature. We all have seen that to one extent or another. Especially when it comes to fish. They are for the most part very adaptable. Older ones aren't as adaptable. Get a younger fish and you stand a better chance of getting one that hasn't become so steadfast in it's habits of what it eats to live.

It is great that your cleaner wrasse is around after two years. I hope it keeps going for a long time to come.

[ 10 May 2002, 16:30: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Bob I
05-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Jack:
boy does that bulb ever look sweet. I am definatley going to 10 000k, forget this Iwasaki buisness ;) lol<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I suspect you mean definitely and business.
Bob

Bob I
05-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:

(Hmmm.... I remember, once someone telling me that they would unequivocally never use halides... :D )<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have no idea who that was, but he was probably pulling your leg. :eek:

AJ_77
05-11-2002, 03:37 AM
If the Lumper is a halide fan, then what excuse do I have? Actually Bob, that bulb does look Much Better in person that the photos. Very nice indeed.

(Mushroom Note: 2 pieces have stayed where I put them, within inches of each other on the same rock. They seem to have survived the trip. Another smaller piece is down below and shows no life signs...)

I'm thinking I may need more actinics for the 250W yellowbird. Or a new bulb, maybe. Jon, you ordering anything from SWC?

Cheers!

Canadian Man
05-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Ahhh no sorry Alan, no extra money.Owe the tax man some money.