PDA

View Full Version : Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector

Buddyboy
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi!

Anybody know where I can buy one of these in the Lower Mainland? Also, does anyone have any experiences with these? Are they a waste o' money? Thanks alot for your help!

Bud

shotzee
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I use a couple. They are pretty good for my nano to get some random flow. The only thing that I don't like about them is their size (probably only applies to my small tank) and the fact that eventually their gears wear out and they stop rotating.

TheReefGeek
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Where did you get them from Shotzee?

shotzee
04-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Big Al's has them.

midgetwaiter
04-24-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a couple of the big ones. I used them for a bit but I found in my situation that I needed more flow than they could handle.

I have 2 that have been used for all of a week, I would be willing to sell them if anyone is interested in trying them.

shotzee
04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
I think the max. flow they are supposed to be able to handle is around 300gph, but I would say 200gph is probably more reasonable based on my experiences. Too much flow and you have the gears wear down fast like mine did.

AndyL
04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
I've got 6 running in various tanks for 6 months now, never had a problem with the gears wearing out. They do plug up with miscelaneous crud on occasion, quick toothbrush cleaning gets em going again. Did have one break the tab where the gears clip onto the base, but that might be more due to my gorrilla hands attempting to tear them apart to clean.

Lot of people complain that they reduce the flow - I tend to disagree, I'm sure there is some loss, but I find the flow's just more dispersed (as it's intended).

Size isn't great, they are a good inch around, and inch and a half long. Of course that's after you trim off that silly flange they put on the back of the nozzle.

Another source if you don't mind mailorder (but the price is better) premium aquatics was listing them for under 10$us.

Andy

Buddyboy
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
You say you have a couple of the "big ones" midgetwaiter. Do they come in different sizes? Is it easy to trim the flange off them?