PDA

View Full Version : Next meeting?

Delphinus
04-13-2002, 02:39 PM
Hi guys

Just occured to me we're approaching mid-month here, which means if we're sticking to the rule of thumb of "first Tuesday of the month" then we have little over two weeks until the next meeting.

I would like to host a meeting myself some day but to be fair the next one should be in the north (and I'm in the south, pretty much next door to Jonathan).

Another question ... Is the day still good for everyone or do we need to reschedule?

AJ_77
04-13-2002, 03:45 PM
The first Tuesday of May is the 7th. We could have it here, in the far NW. (Can you tell I already cleared it with my wife?)

I know Mitch volunteered also, but isn't that soon after moving time? I offer because it may be more convenient this month.

Let me know what you guys think.

AJ smile.gif

(BTW, Bob, thanks for the clump of greens!)

Canadian Man
04-13-2002, 09:51 PM
AWSOME!
Man us calgarians are wonderfull.
I believe AJ's would be wonderful/fair for the second meeting, so it works for me. As well we all get to critique his system.
Kim the bbq in june sounds wonderful as well, great idea.

So I am in for Alans house on May 7th!

Bob I
04-13-2002, 10:45 PM
May 7th at this time sounds fine with me, especially since Alan is close to me.

Tau2301
04-13-2002, 10:59 PM
May 7th is also good for me...

Wait... I have to check with my wife.

AJ_77
04-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Excellent response, gentlemen! I'm looking forward more to Kim's BBQ than the proposed meeting at my house! Kim, will yours include our spouses?? I may need to know... ;)

Tony - is this an auspicious occasion? First your birthday, and now you're somebody important??
What's going on? Should we call you "Sir?" tongue.gif

Cheers, Mates!

Alan

Tau2301
04-14-2002, 04:28 AM
I will put my name forward for June.

If I remember right, at the last meeting we discussed not meeting during the summer months. If this is the case maybe we should make the June meeting on a Saturday and have a BBQ.

I have a large deck with a shady backyard. I could supply the burgers and buns and the attendees could supply salads, cookies(AJ_77), etc.

Bob I
04-14-2002, 11:39 AM
I am in favor of calling him Sir, but change the spelling to CUR. :D :D

Delphinus
04-14-2002, 02:03 PM
"Cur", "Sir", you say "Tomato" I say "Tomato" (ummm ... something got lost in the translation there) :D

Nothing has really changed ... this was a moderated group before, it still is, except now it's a local moderator. We're such well-behaved group in here with great conversations it's a really a complete non-issue... it's almost like an honorary position. So keep up the good conversations guys, we're the envy of the other forums! smile.gif

Tau2301
04-16-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi Everyone, sorry to take so long to get back on the board - been busy organizing my garage.

My wife(Celia)and I have come up with a tenative date for the June meeting. The only thing that could interfere at this point could be the soon to be released soccer schedule.

Saturday June 8/02 3:00 PM to Whatever.

Yes it would be also for spouses (significant others) ;) and children. :rolleyes: I know AJ has 2 boys about the same age as mine (9 & 11).

Biogeek
04-18-2002, 12:17 PM
I am supposed to visiting Calgary in the third week of June, and would be willing to give a talk if there was sufficient interest (I can provide a list of topics or poll the members for what they would like to hear). A list of some of my articles can be found here (http://www.reefcentral.com/library/RobToonen.htm), and I could cover any of those subjects or others depending on the interest of the group...

I'm not sure exactly how you guys run your meetings, but I just saw this thread and realized that you're planning for June right now. So, I thought I should make the offer before anything was finalized...

Rob

AJ_77
04-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi Rob:

Thanks very much for your generous offer. I'm betting we could arrange our June meeting to accomodate your schedule, and I'm sure I speak for many when I say, "How cool would THAT be?"

In other words, we can almost guarantee sufficient interest. Heck, may have to put up some folks from Edmonton and B.C.

Regardless of the topic or format, it's great to extend you a welcome. Of course, the pressure is now intense - being only the 3rd meeting of our small, purposefully casual group. (Our June gathering is planned as a BBQ in Kim's large, shady yard.) ;)

Thanks again, we'll definitely look over your articles list and offer some feedback. Personally, I'd like to know more about all those worms...

Cheers,

AJ smile.gif

Delphinus
04-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Yeah it was just a thought. Not necessarily a good one! I just want to get beyond the half-dozen or so of us who are on the net.

Well Rob, if you're reading this, I honestly hope you wouldn't mind taking the time to speak to our little group, even if we're small. (But we make up for it in enthusiasm, does that count for anything? :D ) I'd be very excited to hear anything you have to say about any of those topics, or anything new you may be working on.

Canadian Man
04-18-2002, 05:54 PM
I'm sure Rob dosent mind talking to us. well i know this for a fact cause i was talking with him about 1 to 2 weeks ago about this topic.
Glad he still wants to come meet with us and we just have to finialize a date. dont know the size of kims yard but i am sure we can make it work unless all of calgary wants to hear :eek:

Delphinus
04-18-2002, 06:04 PM
JONATHAN FOR PRESIDENT....

:D

Man, you really are da man...

Tau2301
04-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Hi Everyone, I have no problem with moving the meeting to the third week in June (it’s been OK’ed by the Mrs.).

It would be great to have Rob at the meeting – maybe we could bill it as the Surf &Turf Meeting as we would be talking about reefing and eating beef burgers.

Rob: what is the date that you would be here? Would you object to just speaking to a few ardent aquarists? I dread having my tank critiqued… :eek:

My backyard can accommodate quite a few people. It has been tested to the limits when all my family comes over.

Note to myself: remember to pick up the dog do. :D

As this was originally going to be a spouse and family affair. Would we now have to exclude them to make room? :confused:

Looking for some help with my thought process here…

AJ_77
04-19-2002, 01:25 AM
Kim:

I'd be happy to leave the kids at home, and haven't invited the Mrs yet. She'd likely enjoy it, though, and meeting other women who tolerate men like us.

You got room for the 2 of us? ;)

Alan

(Oh, and I second Jonathan for President.) :D

[ 18 April 2002, 21:26: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Canadian Man
04-19-2002, 02:06 AM
Me for president???? :cool: Well arent I the cool stud..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I am going away near the end of june but me not being their will not stop any of this from happening. I dont know if Rob checkes here reqularly but I will mail him tommorow and try to find out an exact date so we can make this happen. I am sure my wife would be thrilled to come as she digs things like this.
Thanks
Jonathan.

Delphinus
04-19-2002, 04:08 AM
Just wondering out loud here ... If we can get the word out to our "non-internetting" counterparts I think there would be quite some interest. Maybe the thing to do would be to print up some flyers and see if we can get some LFS's to post them. I know places can sometimes get funny about flyers, so I guess there'd have to be some PR involved...

AJ_77
04-19-2002, 04:13 AM
I thought about that as well, but then...

Logistics come into play; Kim's yard may not be appropriate; do we then book a facility; should we plan an "event," etc...

Perhaps Rob would enjoy an informal talk with a smaller group. He seems like a decent sort, after all, and a meeting such as we are already planning would be conducive to chit-chat as well as a lecture.

Just my $.02.

AJ

Bob I
04-19-2002, 10:16 PM
As soon as it begins to look a bit like summer (usually by the long weekend in May), I switch to my summer schedule where I am away EVERY weekend until September.

Tau2301
04-20-2002, 04:39 AM
I would prefer to keep the families involved. It will probably give us a better chance of sneeking down to the basement to critique my tank... ;)

Biogeek
04-22-2002, 02:21 AM
Sorry I didn't respond right away - I was off in Omaha giving a talk to the Marine Society there. If you're ever passing through Omaha, the admission to the Henry Doorly Zoo is worth it smile.gif

I actually haven't made any firm plans about which dates I'll be in Calgary yet - I was kind of planning on early the third week, but I'll have to check with my brother and see when he's willing to put me up. I'll try to find something out and let you know soon.

I don't mind just hanging out and speaking with a small group of enthusiastic folks at all - I usually enjoy that part the most, actually...

Rob

DJ88
04-22-2002, 02:35 AM
I am jealous. ;)

Ever come by the coast at all Rob? ;)

I bet it is easier to talk to small informal groups. More of a social gathering. More fun. BBQ, Beer and sunshine.

Biogeek
04-23-2002, 12:34 AM
Actually I was just in Seattle a few weeks ago, and should be giving a talk at a weekend workshop there sometime this fall...

You can check in on what is happening with the Puget Sound Aquarium Society (http://www.fitermania.com/psas/PSAS_home.html#SECTION2) if you want to find out more about it later in the year.

Rob

Tau2301
04-29-2002, 04:19 AM
<bump>

AJ_77
04-29-2002, 02:12 PM
Let's get a handle on a May meeting:

1. Can we all make it on Tues, May 7th?

2. Is my house in Tuscany - near Stoney & Crowchild Tr. - good for everyone?

We can discuss the suggested topic - fragging/propagation - as a couple of worthy reefers have offered to bring along a frag or two to add to the host's emptyish tank. (How cool will THAT be?)

SO - responses please, and we'll have another stellar event.

Cheers,

Alan

[ 29 April 2002, 10:14: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
04-29-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm in -- "yes" to both #1 and #2 there Alan... :D

DJ88
04-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Rob,

I regularly visit the PSAS meetings. Was just at the last one in April.

As well they have asked me to drop by when my testing of VHO ballasts is complete to go over the data.

One way or another I'll be down. So hopefully I'll see you there. Would be nice to meet someone who has passed on some good info over the years.

Canadian Man
04-29-2002, 03:51 PM
Everying is in the green for me.
I will be there!

Bob I
04-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Sounds fine with me.
Bob

AJ_77
05-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Excellent, gentlemen!

Any others? Mitch, Eli, Wayner, Sean, VDHD? You guys in town next week?

Cheers!

wayner
05-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Alan:

If you can send me an e-mail with directions to your house, I'll do my best to make it.

Thanks
Wayne

AJ_77
05-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Got your message Wayne, so I'm working on a map!

(And BTW, there should be at least a few new folk there Tuesday.)

Thanks,
Alan

[ 02 May 2002, 09:39: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

AJ_77
05-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Greetings All, here's the backup message:

My address is 66 Tuscany Ridge View NW. Phone number is 374-1210.

Directions: go west on Tuscany Blvd from Stoney Trail. Your 4th right is Tuscany Ridge View. Take another quick little right, and look for #66 on your right. Piece of cake.

Tuesday at 7:30 PM.

Some are bringing frags, hydrometers (for calibration), digital and other photos, macro algaes, unwanted cleaner shrimp (HA!), etc.

Tony - if you have any more pics I can post on your "new" web page, bring 'em! If anyone else wants a web page, bring your pics!

Cheers, and yee-HAW,

Alan

[ 02 May 2002, 14:35: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-03-2002, 04:46 AM
i would love to attend these meetings.
unfortunatly my only days off are sundays and mondays almost every week. :(
maybe next one probably by then i will have lots of coral cuttings for trades,... smile.gif

spikehs
05-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Unfortuneatly i cant. I am working all day for the weekdays + some weekends.

Delphinus
05-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi Rob,

Oh, I think we should be able to accomodate. smile.gif Anything that works for you. When you know for certain what flights you've got and all that, get in touch with one of us (or just post in here) and we'll get this sorted out.

PS. What's going on in Banff at that time? (Or are you just visiting?)

Biogeek
05-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Sounds great to me, I'll post my schedule here when it's confirmed, then.

The Banff event is the American Society of Naturalists (http://www.amnat.org/banff/meeting.html) annual meeting - lots of people talking about cool natural history of their favorite animals...

Rob

Biogeek
05-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Turns out that my meeting in Banff is scheduled for the 10th-15th of July, so I'll be in town then rather than June. I will be in town for a day or two on either side of that, so if one of those times is more convenient for folks, please let me know and I'll make my reservations. Hopefully that works out, and maybe I could meet up with some of you during my time in Calgary...

Rob

[ 05 May 2002, 17:39: Message edited by: Biogeek ]