PDA

View Full Version : Babies at the meeting?

Canadian Man
05-03-2002, 02:27 AM
No I am not asking if I can bring my babies to the meeting as I don't have any(human babies).
But what I am asking/offering is Angelfish babies (yes fresh water kind).
This is what takes up the other half of my basement is my angel breeding tanks.
So let me know if anyones wants some, few, lots.

They come from great parents that display wonderful non common characteristics(bob please check spelling of last word ;) ) such as red/orange eyes as they get bigger.

Anyways let me know as I have so many they are starting to take over the world!!! no just their tank.

[ 02 May 2002, 22:28: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

AJ_77
05-03-2002, 03:59 PM
Wish I had need of some, Jon, but there is only one small FW tank -10g- in the whole house.

And with any luck, that will be converted over some day!

Good luck with those - are you running out of retailers?

Delphinus
05-03-2002, 05:24 PM
How do angels do in a community tank? I thought maybe angels need to be in by themselves?

Canadian Man
05-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Alan;
no problem, just putting the option out for people.

Tony;
They do quite well in a comunity setting with most other fish even tiger barbs.

Not running out of retaillers just letting my fellow aquarium lovers the first pick of the stud's as per say!

fishnut
05-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:
How do angels do in a community tank? I thought maybe angels need to be in by themselves?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Angelfish are cichlids, after all, and tend to become aggressive towards their tankmates at spawning time.

Since angelfish have long flowing fins, they are not good tankmates for fin-nippers, which will harass them.

StirCrazy
05-04-2002, 01:51 AM
delphinus

I keep my angels in comunity tanks.. althought they are cichlids they are dosile and NORMALY only become agressive when a pair is spawning.
Tiger barbs are hit and miss with them.. personaly I wouldent mix them with barbs but other have had success. I just picked up a couple of festivums and my angels were being a bit crankey but they got over it after a day, now they are best of friends.

Steve

Canadian Man
05-04-2002, 01:55 AM
To furthur explaine my first response.
I used to have 5 barbs in with my angels.
My angels started to have eggs.
so i took almost everything out.
Now in my angel tank there is the pair, a clown loach, a bumblebee gobie, and two ottocats.

Bob I
05-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Yes Jon, I have no trouble with the spelling of that word. Now to business. I have my old 33 sitting in my living room. The chances of selling it are very low, so my only other choice is to toss it into the garbage bin. It would probably make a fine specimen tank. The only problem is that I have no substrate, or plants. I just have some (not a lot ) of lava rock. I can get a bag of chicken grit on Monday, but even so I could not get the tank cycled by Tuesday. Should I go ahead?? :confused:

Canadian Man
05-04-2002, 03:55 PM
BOB
Angels are an interesting fish, reason i say this is that you can do a 100% water change every 2 days and the fish are extremely healthy.
In most of my breeding tanks i have no filtration i just do a 25 to 50% wc every 2 days.
My larger/ready to ship/go angel's are in a 33g. I have a canister(eheim2213) on there and feed 3 times a day very heavily. Oh and there are currently 100 or so quarter to loonie sized fish in this tank.
I would go for it if you want. let me know how many you want. :D

Ps; i wish we would have discussed this yesterday as i threw out a full 5g bucket of plants from my tank. They grow too quick! oh well there will always be more.

[ 04 May 2002, 11:58: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Canadian Man
05-04-2002, 06:29 PM
That will work out fine Bob.
If you eventually want let's say a breeding pair then i would put 6 in a 33g and you should have 1 to 2 pair(male/female)
I wouldnt go with more than 6 in a 33 for full size.
I will bring to the meeting.

Bob I
05-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Six is fine, whatever you say. You are the boss.

StirCrazy
05-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Bob, what are you using for gravel in that tank? you had mentioned chicken grit, by that do you meen crushed oyster shells? if so you might want to re-think that as every fish you mentioned is a soft water fish and crushed oyster shell will desolve raising the ph and hardness of the water.

Steve

Bob I
05-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Chicken grit is usually crushed granite. In my early days of fishkeeping 30+ years ago we used it extensively with no deliterious effects.

Canadian Man
05-05-2002, 02:53 AM
Well in the words of Bob I am sure the fish will adapt.
All my Angels are in our tap water with no special treatment and we have hard water and they do very well.
but to each his own, right?

StirCrazy
05-05-2002, 03:11 AM
ya we used to run a giant comunity tank in edmonton on tap water (about 24ish years ago) and everything did ok also smile.gif crushed granet you say.. hmmm we used to give our chickens oyster shell as grit thats why I was wondering what you were refering to. another good substrate for fresh water tanks I have been using is Pool filter sand. it is a little corser than regular sand but smaller than gravel and very natural looking but a little more money than chicken grit hehe it is about 15.00 for 50lbs.

Steve

Bob I
05-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Since my last post, I have set up my 15 gallon high as a temporary home. The water is in and circulating with an Aquaclear 150. The rocks are soaking as we speak. This should do until I can get the grit on Monday, and get the 33 running. Plants I can always get later. I should probably get a dozen or so fish (or whatever you think) smile.gif
Bob
PS I will probably get some Clown Loaches later, and probably some Corydoras Cats right away.

Bob I
05-05-2002, 01:24 PM
I live in CALGARY, and it would be illogical to go all the way to the coast to get oyster shell to give to chickens. That is why I assume we use crushed granite, as we get it a lot closer. It, however, is quite sharp. I also thought about filter sand. I have looked at it, and found it was just silica sand, but screened to get a uniform size. It is also not sharp, so I think I will get some. :D

StirCrazy
05-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Bob Ipema
you don't reed well do you smile.gif when I used to give the chickens crushed oyster shells is when I lived just out side of edmonton :D
go to a feed store it is a very commen grit here in ALBERTA smile.gif

Steve

Delphinus
05-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Hello Guys;

This thread is starting to detract from its original focus. Can we try to restrict further posts to this thread to that of the original topic please?

Thanks...

Bob I
05-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Here's a thought. Maybe we should move the entire thread to the Freshwater forum. It would all be in order there, except perhaps the original post. :D