PDA

View Full Version : CO2 problem

Ruth
04-21-2006, 02:52 AM
On one of my calcium reactors (grotech) my last bottle of CO2 (first time filling a new bottle) only lasted me like 2 months. I have my bubble count at about 80 per minute. I thought this was weird because my other bottle on my other CR (Precision Marine) is still going after 8 months. OK so I took it back to the fill er up place and told them about the problem. They said they had been having a problem with their filler er upper and only charged me half price. That was last week. Now what I didn't do is to read the regulator guage to see what it read. I use 2 bubble counters - the one attached to the regulator and the one that is part of the reactor and both were bubbling at about the same rate.
Anyway this morning I glance over and no bubbles - OK go and turn up a bit higher - still no bubbles. Look and no CO2 in tank. What is going on. I know I either have a leak somewhere - no hissing noise at all - or they are not filling up my bottle? Any suggestions?

Delphinus
04-21-2006, 03:02 AM
What psi is the tank after a fill? What size cylinder is it?

Andy
04-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Hi Ruth

Did you try putting soapy water around the regulator after opening up the valve. I have lost a few tank fulls a little quicker than expected because of leaky connections. I always check now.

Ruth
04-21-2006, 03:33 AM
It's a 10lb tank and I don't know how to tell the PSI. It's a standard aluminium tank that I bought new from J&L.
Thanks Andy - I am going to get it filled again tomorrow and will try the soapy water trick around the connections.

Andy
04-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Your regulator should have 2 guages. One guage measures the pressure in the tank when the valve is open. It should be around 900-1000 psi on filling and the other guage measures the pressure going into your needle valve. I have mine set at around 11 psi.

4ptbuck
04-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Pressure in the regulator doesn't tell you much.
If there is liquid CO2 in the tank, the main pressure will be 8-900 psi. It is dependant on temp.
If all the liquid is gone, pressure will slowly drop.

In my FW tank, I am bubbling at about 10 bubbles a second 7x24. A 10 lb tank will last about 6 months. Once I am out of liquid and pressure starts to drop, it'l last about 2 weeks.

To accurately determine CO2 volume, look for the TARE weight of the tank. It'll be stamped on the tank. Or go weight your empty tank.

Once you fill up, guess what,... you'll have 10 lbs of CO2 in your tank.

Connect all your fittings and do the soapy water trick. If you are loosing that much CO2, you have a leak on your high pressure side.

Delphinus
04-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Yeah, sounds like either a leaky connection or they never filled it much. The only thing about reading the psi after a fill is that, at least on my 2 cylinders (2 regulators), it sits at 900 psi forever and ever until the last day or so.

But a week on a 10lb cylinder? No way that's right. Seeing as they told you they were having issues I'm more inclined to think you were short sold by accident rather than a leaky connection (but I would check into that nonetheless just to rule that out as a possibility).

Willow
04-21-2006, 06:36 AM
ruth did you check to see if you have your white o-ring set properly between your tank and regulator?

Ruth
04-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. I did check the white O-ring but I think I am going to replace it just to be sure. I am also going to try the soapy water trick and may even replace my CO2 airline just to be on the safe side.

kari
04-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Seen a faulty regulator not too long ago that would dump co2 sporadically but you would probably notice that with the bubble counter and ph monitor. I'd say it's most likely a fitting leak if the tank was just filled.

Ruth
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking the same as Kari. I monitor PH pretty closely although the CR does have an extra de-gassing chamber so I may not notice a faulty regulator that way.
I really like calcium reactors for what they do to my tank stability but I hate when stuff like this happens because #1 I am an idiot at trying to figure stuff like this out and #2 pressurized gas scares me!