PDA

View Full Version : Free halimeda!

Delphinus
04-25-2002, 11:55 PM
Fellow Calgary reefers: my ritteri told me that the halimeda was encroaching on its territory, and asked me to prune some...

So, I have just pulled out some massive clumps of halimeda. I have waaaaayy too much of the stuff and it does not fit in my itty-bitty refugium.

Who wants some? The catch is, come and get it.

The stuff does not transfer well when it is pruned. This stuff I just pulled out, is actually not pruned: I just pulled entire clumps, it is sort of rooted in itself. So this stuff stands a pretty good chance of a successful transfer.

Halimeda sp. is a calcareous macro-algae. You can find a picture of it here (http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/BOT201/Algae/Bot%20201%20Halimeda.jpg) (or do a search on google or any of the boards).

Ok, I just thought about it, and, there is a second catch. Any worms, mini brittle stars, pods, and snails must be well-taken-care of! If you end up discarding the algae, please save all the creatures that live in it. This is what I would do if I was going to flush the algae (a single copepod lost is a tragedy.. yes I AM a bleeding heart. Thank you very much!). But anyone who wants the algae is welcome to any of the hitch-hikers.

Let me know. I can't keep the stuff indefinitely..

Tau2301
04-26-2002, 12:02 AM
Hi Tony, I will take some off your hands/tank. When would be a good time to stop by and get some?

Plus I could pick up the BTA at the same time.

Canadian Man
04-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Tony; is this good stuff to have in my main tank?
any problems you could forshadow?
Or is it better off in a refugium?

AJ_77
04-26-2002, 01:05 AM
GA-A-AHHH! Weren't you just here?!?
How inconvenient of your anemone, that it couldn't let you know one day prior.

Garn! BTW, does your stuff look like the picture you posted a link to? Mine is a different variety, I see. But very small - I'll wait...

AJ

Delphinus
04-26-2002, 01:39 AM
It is calcareous so it has a somewhat leathery texture. As for whether to put in a main display or a refugium ... I think it's six of one, half-dozen of the other. I like the look of it myself, I think it looks fine in my 50's display.

It is a slower grower than say caulerpa, so it's probably not an ideal choice for a primary nutrient exporter. But just pruning it back every so often and you can get some nutrient export, and some is better than none, right?

It seems to work well as a sort of "in-tank" refugium as copepods, amphipods, brittle stars, bristle worms, etc. like to live in it. So it would work well in a refugium as things seem to like living in it.

It can sporalate, just a caution. I've had it happen once in four years. For comparison, I've had caulerpa go several times per year on me.

Supposedly you can dry the stuff and get really nice fine white powdery sand. Although I haven't been able to do that (only tried once though).

So. Email me if you're still interested. I should be around most of the weekend. You have to promise not to laugh at the state of my tanks, though..

And if anyone else wants some ... I have lots. I can probably accomodate everyone if need be :D

Thanks for the interest/replies.. Hope this info helps.

Delphinus
04-26-2002, 01:43 AM
Alan: yeah, sorry about that. I wish I had done this sooner. My anemone is looking very unhappy today, having been slowly pushed out of its favourite spot. Within minutes of me pulling the stuff out it expanded back into its favourite area. So hopefully I've made enough amends for the time being ...

The stuff I just pulled out, looks similar to the picture posted, but the leaves are far smaller. Actually I used to have some that looks just like the photo, not sure if it's still there intermixed with the other algaes or not. The bigger leaved stuff is/was slower growing than the smaller leaved stuff.

[ 25 April 2002, 21:45: Message edited by: delphinus ]

AJ_77
04-26-2002, 02:24 AM
Tony: we may have a solution. Jonathan is trying to get up my way this weekend to pick up a pump. He could -conceivably- bring me a clump suitable for display purposes.

I'd like *some* vegetation in the main tank - sounds like this would do nicely. And, if some critters hitch along, then excellent! (I too enjoy the tiniest inhabitants, even though Bob thinks it's wierd...)

Biodiversity now!

Thanks - you open to using a willing courier? I'll mention it to Jon when I speak to him. (OR - he might read this very post!)

Alan

Canadian Man
04-26-2002, 02:29 AM
Wow we are all psycic.
Alan i just sent you a mail saying that very thing. If i can get to tony's tommorow i could get you some for saturday or go to tony's on saturday evening on the way to your place.
WOW GENIOUS.
Man my spelling sucks wheres Bob when you need him! smile.gif

AJ_77
04-26-2002, 02:33 AM
I give a rat's a** about your spelling, Jon. But, because Bob has apparantly taken the week off, I'll give you these: "psychic" - "tomorrow" - "genius."

You rock, as usual! Saturday evening is looking better and better! I better go check my mail.

Alan :D :D :D

MitchM
04-26-2002, 10:26 AM
Tony,
I'll take all the algae that you can spare after everyone else gets theirs.

Mitch :D

Tau2301
04-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Tony, if you are still helping Mitch out on Saturday could bring along some of your Halimeda for me.

Delphinus
04-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Sure, we can do that ... I kinda liked your idea about coming over and claiming that BTA while we were at it too ... we're not too too far away from one another I think.

Either way works good for me.

Tau2301
04-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I will wait and pick up the BTA with the Halimeda.

Bob I
04-26-2002, 11:50 PM
What is a BTA???

AJ_77
04-27-2002, 12:57 AM
Bubble-tip anemone?

Bob I
04-27-2002, 04:29 AM
I have not taken the week off. I just have trouble beating a dead horse. You have not paid attention to my browbeating, and still use definatly, which BTW is definitely wrong :D . Remember the old i before e thing guys. It is weird, NOT wierd. I could go on, but I am getting a reputation.
BTW Jonathan, I was asking how you regulate inflow versus outflow. If your siphons are faster than your return pump you will have water on the floor. The reverse is that you will have an empty sump if your return pump is too fast. I like CPR 's method of skimming the surface of the water. That way they kill two birds with one stone.

Delphinus
04-27-2002, 04:44 AM
Nope ... an overflow box will not siphon out water faster than the sump return. In an overflow box design there is a box on the inside of the tank and a box on the outside of the tank, connected by a U-tube. The pivotal key of the design is the dam in the outside box. Water has to rise over the dam in order to drain down into the sump. It can only flow over that dam at whatever rate is it being pumped back into the main display tank.

Maybe it's easier to explain with the overflow box actually in hand! It can be hard to visualize based on textual descriptions..

AJ_77
04-28-2002, 03:23 AM
Tony:

Thanks for the nice clump of greens! We counted seven baby brittle stars - what a show. They all climbed my highest table rock, and one of the bigger ones mounted an astrea snail and started ejaculating, I kid you not. :eek: The poor snail had to run for it's life, as another star was nosing up for a dance too.

I think they've all settled in now, with one or two staying in the halimeda, and the rest vanished except for the odd protruding leg.

Cheers! (And a big thanks to Jon & Katie for the delivery and very pleasant visit.) smile.gif

Alan

Bob I
05-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Tony, if you have any left could you bring it to the meeting? I kept my Caulerpa in a bucket overnight while my tank move was on, and it took a real s***kicking. At this time I am not certain if it will survive. :(

[ 02 May 2002, 07:50: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Delphinus
05-02-2002, 01:11 PM
I will bring some halimeda to the meeting, for sure. I might even have some caulerpas I could bring too, in case yours doesn't make it.

I'd be surprised if nothing survives though, you can have like 99% of the stuff removed and the remaining 1% will re-establish the whole colony.