PDA

View Full Version : 33 g Nano Reef

Myka
04-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Hi all! I'm new - kind of. *lol* I registered on here a couple years ago, and never posted. Shame shame...

Anyway, after a few years of dabbling in semi-reef tanks keeping just some softies, and a few inverts, and fish I gave up. I killed everything, and no one seemed to be able to help me out. So I spent a few years reading, and reading, and reading some more. So I *think* I can try again! :D

Here's the plan:

HARDWARE:

33 g (If I find something bigger before I fill this up with water, then I'll buy it!!)
SKIMMERLESS! (for now, until my bioload gets too big)
Bare or SSB
2x36w T5 (have a 250w halide sitting around I might use)
2 - MaxiJet 1200

Reef Crystals salt - might change to IO sine it's cheaper
Have API test kits mostly, a couple sucky Hagens

ANIMALS/PLANTS:

30 lbs dry base rock
15 lbs LR
Softies
LPS
Pair of True Percs
Blue Mandarin (if I can find one that eats prepared foods)
A clam maybe
A tube anemone maybe
The usual clean-up crew...maybe a bit more heavy duty than usual as no skimmer

christyf5
04-19-2006, 04:05 AM
moved to reef forum

First off Welcome to Canreef!! :biggrin:

Secondly, ditch the Hagen test kits, they suck.

Next, I think the rule of thumb is about 1-1.5 of rock per gallon or something like that. Personally I'd go with more live rock than base but thats mostly because I'm impatient :wink: whatever floats your boat. Pretty much everyone just goes for aesthetics these days anyways. I wouldn't go with less than 30 lbs.

I'm no good with the sand but theres a sandbed calculator around here somewhere......yes here it is:

http://reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php

niloc16
04-19-2006, 06:08 AM
as far as the sand goes, and this is average for me, 1lb per gallon gives me about 1 1/2 inches, so for your 4 - 5" i would say min 60lbs and then add if you need to. live rock is typically lb per gal. i tried dead rock with live rock and ended up replacing it. it just doesnt look right with everything else. the live rock is so important that it is more than just looks, and i mean you maybe get the dead rock for the third the price, but it does nothing for you aside from a filler. and i mean lots of times your live rock comes with free hitch hikers that are good. i've got a few corals that way. just my opinion though

seashells
04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Welcome to canreef.

As for the mandarin I have been having good success getting them to eat blood worms and live brine shrimp.

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Mandarins & other small goby type fish may not be safe with tube anemones if the tube anemone is big & the fish is small. Mine never did any harm as far as I could tell but this is something I've been told to be careful about. Try an above tank refugium, so the pods would gravity feed down into the tank, rather than go through a pump impeller.

If you want more room in the tank & still have enough LR, I keep extra LR in the refugium.

Anthony

msteele
04-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a 36g tank with 50 lbs. of liverock in it which I am doing very well with. I started with 30 lbs. live and 20 base that quickly turned live.
Even with the 50lbs. there still looks like there is room for more.
I wouldn't go with less than 35lbs. to support the bioload, but put as much in as you like for aesthetics.

TheReefGeek
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
250w isn't overkill at all. Look into a HQI ballast even to run the SE bulb.

If you are doing a fuge, why not a sump with a skimmer? If you plan to upgrade the tank in relatively short order this is probably a good idea so you dont have to buy another skimmer, but if you are keeping the tank a year+, might want to get a little skimmer.

Myka
04-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Christy: Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Yes, I know the Hagen's suck, I'm replacing them soon with Salifert. Might get a pH pen too.

niloc: Sometimes funds just don't support a ton of live rock. I'll buy the best quality live stuff to make sure I get a good array of life. :)

seashells: Thanks for the welcome, and for the mandarin tip!!! :D

Seahorse Fanatic: Yes, I have heard this, and I'm not sure if I'll "take the risk" or not. But they are SO purty!

msteele: Thanks! I'll try out 30 or 35 lbs to start off, and go from there.

ReefGeek: On a softy/LPS tank it will definitely be overkill...heat issues mainly.

TheReefGeek
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
If you're thinking of upgrading already, you probably should! Better to setup the system you really want the first time, and save some $$$.

I dont mean a 250w SE bulb in a DE socket (because this is not possible). I mean a 250w SE bulb in a mogul socket being overdriven by a HQI ballast. Just an option, my preference is actually the good old heavy, magnetic pulse start ballasts.

Heat issues can be dealt with, a 250w over a 33g tank is definately possible. It depends on if you hang the fixture, or enclose it over the tank, and fans can be used to help as well.