PDA

View Full Version : Blowing bubbles ... I mean, bubbles blow.

Delphinus
04-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Well guys I tried my new sump last night.

And .... I'm guessing it might be time to admit this is a problem that is just bigger than me.

A new sump return pump. A new sump, with a stupid collection of overflows and baffles ... I don't see any bubbles making it into the pump, yet there they are, a nice fine white mist blowing out of the sump returns. :mad:

I'm never using an inline pump again. Next tank the sump return will be submersible. Never had this problem with the submersible pumps.

Anyways I'm not sure what my next step is yet. I can't live with a whitewater tank. I guess the only thing I haven't re-addressed is the two actual PVC output pipes into the tank (everything else has been replaced)...

Would love to hear any ideas/suggestions...

... sigh ... I'd give anything to get past this. I've been fighting the microbubble issue since ... man I can't remember that far back. At least a couple of months now. :(

[ 29 April 2002, 07:32: Message edited by: delphinus ]

AJ_77
04-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Tony:
What pump are you using? The Little Giant that I had was a source of consternation for the previous owner - he believed that it was introducing air through the pump housing, and had silicone all around the seams of the thing.

I think a likelier culprit was the PVC union seal, but we'll see. Once I install a custom acrylic receptacle under the return pipe, the bubbles 'should' diminish.

Then we're down to 2 possible sources: pump or pipe.

AJ

(I hope you get more responses from people with some plumbing experience...) ;)

Delphinus
05-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Water enters my sump right now in a "straight down" fashion. This creates a lot of turbulence. While I am not convinced the bubbles are making it through the bubble traps, it does create a lot of noise. I'm thinking of switching it to a 45 degree angle so that the water can "slide" in rather than "crash" in.

I'm not sure it will help my microbubble problem ... I guess it can't hurt though!

So I'm just curious: What angle do others have their pipes carrying water into their sumps? Would like to hear people's opinions and observations please! smile.gif

[ 01 May 2002, 08:58: Message edited by: delphinus ]

AJ_77
05-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Two 45's take the return back under the stand and into the sump. (Where it will soon meet the new acrylic Bubble Eliminator - die, white scourge!!)

So, I would have to hear yours to decide if it's any better; I have less "crashing" and more "splashing" but I suspect it's still on the loud side.

What return pump are you using?

Alan

DJ88
05-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Tony,

I'd look for small holes in the return lines allowing air to get in. The faster the water is being pushed past the air hole the faster air gets sucked in and more bubbles are created.

Most likely a PVC joint. BUt possibly the pump connections.

With that said.

My return drops donw into one 45, then a second to make the 90 deg turn easier then straightens out then into an upwards facing 45 again. So basically it goes through 135 degrees of turning. The last 45 is at the water line in the sump. I get a bit of a burping noise from time to time but that is it.

hth