PDA

View Full Version : how do you move a clam once it attaches?

fresh
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Just as the title says...

I have a clam that has attached to a piece of rock that is almost impossible to move, yet I would like to move the location of the clam!

The reason I want this done is because there is a rock covered with GSP that is right next to the clam and is touching/covering the clam.

I also wanted to know how harmful are the GSP's to clams?

Thanks

FragFactory
04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Best way is to take a razor and cut the clam's foot as close to the rock as you can.

Mike

Quagmire
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Maybe see if you can scrape the rock under the foot rather than the foot itself.

TheReefGeek
04-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Definately cut/chisel the rock away that the foot is attached too, dont cut the foot.

EmilyB
04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
It is easy to razor blade the byssal threads if you can get under the clam. You just don't want to pull on it too hard.

Psyire
04-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Exactly as Emily stated, cut the byssal threads with a razor. This will not harm the clam in anyway.

fresh
04-19-2006, 05:56 PM
To tell you the truth, I didn't know that is how you move a clam and I was hoping for something a lot easier and less drastic (on me and on the clam) :)

I don't think I will be moving the clam after knowing the process.

Now the question that becomes very important: How bad are GSP's for clams? The green stars are touching the clam's shell and the clam is pointed in a way that some stars will be touching the inside of the clam (the meat part). How bad is this and will the clam reposition itself to be in a better location?

I have seen the clam move every once in a while, shift its angle, direction, etc. not too much, but a little.

Thanks all.

OCDP
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Removing a clam is not difficult at all, it's very easy. It may take a few minutes but it can be done without too much work.

What I do, and I am sure some won't agree with my method. I let the clam close up, then I gently start pulling (key word GENTLY) til' it starts to stretch a bit, then hold... and usually the clam will release, or you'll just pull it off. The important thing though is being gentle and slow. It has worked every time for me.

Delphinus
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't think GSP will hurt the clam. But you'll know by observing whether it's bad, if the mantle never expands where it's getting contacted, then you know.

I'm with you, I don't like moving clams at all. I'd much rather reposition the rock its on then try to cut byssal threads. I'm sure if you get used to it it's probably easy, but for me, I find it's sooooooo easy to lose a clam that I'd rather not try anything that seems like I'm inviting it to happen.

Anyhow, if I was you I'd reposition the GSP if there was determined at some point that it's a no-no to let them touch. I think you can peel GSP off rock fairly easily. I haven't done it in a while so I might be remembering wrong but I know for sure 100% that it's easy to scrape off glass and to get to reattach onto new substrate (it's a bit of a weed anyhow, very hard to kill just by moving it).

HTH! :)