PDA

View Full Version : Psychedelic mandarin pairings...

psychedelic
04-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Hey guys,

I'm moving to a new tank soon...and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck pairing mandarins? I had two of em...and they used to fight quite a bit...unless the tank was taken down. One prob bullied the other one into the reef...and i never saw her again.

I've got a male and wanna get him a mate...anyone with experience?

Xtasia
04-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a male and wanna get him a mate...anyone with experience?

Dim the lights and play some Barry...

honestly.. I have no idea. but good luck!

psychedelic
04-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Hahaha....seriously...i sometimes wonder if my fish freak out when I crank my music in the living room.

charlesr1958
04-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Check out Teakies website or contact her through her website, if there is anyone that knows mandarins and breeding them, it will be her.

http://home.alltel.net/teakiebarber/

Chuck

psychedelic
04-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks Chuck...

psychedelic
04-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Hmmmm....says work in progress. Mebbe he/she took down the site for a bit.

seashells
04-18-2006, 05:38 AM
You should probably have a male and female. We have a pair of male and female scooter dragonets. They perform their mating dance every evening. Just need popcorn. We added a psychedelic mandarin. They all get a long fine. So we think the mandarin is female. Still looking for a male mandarin. Males are supposed to be identified by a very tall dorsal fin. Good luck.

Doug & Shellie

Chaloupa
04-18-2006, 06:11 AM
We purchased a female...let her settle for many months and made sure that we could feed her properly....then we purchased a healthy male that was a bit smaller...they don't fight at all and hang out quite a bit ...find one and the other will be quite close. I think we may have just been lucky, and our fish have lots of pods and food to eat...good luck! They are great fish if your tank is old enough! Keep checking the site for Teakie....very cool site!

EmilyB
04-18-2006, 06:52 AM
I've had better luck with a large male and smaller female. The first big female I had was relentless. Just IME.

charlesr1958
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Hmmmm....says work in progress. Mebbe he/she took down the site for a bit.

Sorry, I had forgotten that she said she was updating it, I am sure it will be back up very soon. Might try again later if I know her, she usualy works on it and is back up in no time. I can not stress though how much info on just mandarins is available there. Very much worth the wait.

Chuck

seashells
04-19-2006, 06:45 AM
If you're really concerned about making sure they have enough food we have had good success getting them to take blood worms and live brine shrimp.

Doug

briansmyth
01-20-2008, 01:56 AM
This article has some very interesting information about the complex spawning ritual ( and you thought it was difficult just getting a date for Saturday night); it also talks a bit about how the annual harvesting of 40 million reef fish from the ocean could upset the balance of `things'.

I realize that this thread was started in 2006, but I felt this was an appropriate place to put this post and link.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/04/0423_mandarinfish.html

Doug
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
At least they are easily sexed, as compared with many other fish. As mentioned, food, would be a major concern. I thought I once seen a good article on one of the online mags, but without searching, dont remember which month it was.

charlesr1958,

Welcome to Canreef. I never knew you were a member on Canreef, until now. Its great to see you here. Although not a member on MD, I read it always, esp. following some of your threads.

A unique approach to keeping reef aquariums. Very natural looking. And a great website.

:mrgreen:

anyways, enough of topic, back to the mandarins.