PDA

View Full Version : Whew

marie
04-17-2006, 07:11 PM
I've just finished draining my 175g bowfront into tubs, caught all the fish and filled the tank back up again. I've had an outbreak of marine velvet and I had to get all the fish into quarintine.

R.I.P 1 mandarin 4yrs, clown goby 2yrs, damsel 3yrs and a white cheek tang 6 mths :cry:

*Edit* Arrrg... Tigger, my favourite fish, just died. He was a potters angel

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Dang. That's too bad Marie. Hopefully the salt will be enough to refill the tank. If you need more, let me know & I'll see if I can get more up to you.

Anthony

TheReefGeek
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully your work saves the rest of your fish.

marie
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks Anthony, but I'm fine for now, I refilled the tank back up with the same water. I had 3 maxi jet 1200's going, 15 min to drain, 2 min to scoop the fish and about half an hour to fill back up. Only had to move a couple of rocks and the corals barely even noticed they were without water.

I would of taken pics of the chaos but I was too busy with other things :lol:

marie
04-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully your work saves the rest of your fish.

I have all my fingers crossed. At least now I can treat them, it was horrible, not being able to do anything.

Ruth
04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Good luck Marie - I hope you have caught it in time and I'm sorry for your losses. Any idea how it came into your system?

marie
04-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Good luck Marie - I hope you have caught it in time and I'm sorry for your losses. Any idea how it came into your system?

I think it piggy backed on a lobster my husband bought for me last July. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18012

The only fish that survived that outbreak, was my yellow tang. I kept him in quarantine for 4 weeks but he never showed any sign of having marine velvet. Other fish, that I added after to the tank he was in never showed any sign either. It didn't show up until all the fish were added to the bowfront.

Lesson learned? Everything wet added to a reef tank needs to be quarantined first