PDA

View Full Version : black pvc...

prosnow
04-17-2006, 04:34 AM
is black pvc alright or does it leach something into the water...just remembered i have a whole bunch of 4" left over from the last sub box i built...i think i've seen the black stuff in use @ golds but i could be wrong..

G1GY
04-17-2006, 04:40 AM
You seen the black flexible spa hose at Gold.(It's safe for pottable water.)

The black ABS pipe will leach chemicals into your water. Stick with the white PVC pipe and fittings. Save that stuff for your next sub box. :)

Willow
04-17-2006, 04:40 AM
the black stuff is most likely abs which is not potable and not reef friendly. the dark grey pipe is sched 80 pvc, around twice the price of white pvc but reef safe.

AndyL
04-17-2006, 04:43 AM
ABS is fine for plumbing reefs, all your powerheads amongst many other components are made of ABS plastic.

Yes, it is not approved for potable water use in the house, but that doesn't mean it's reef unsafe. Just like CPVC (grey pvc - found in the electrical aisle) is also reef safe.

Andy

prosnow
04-17-2006, 04:50 AM
no i'm pretty sure i've seen it @ golds, look @ the back there where the "employees only" sign is, i belive its on one of there new frag tanks, as surface skimmer plumbed down to the sump..i think its 4" as well

btw: i'm not planning on using it to plumb my own tanks, just to cut up and use for my Q tanks

G1GY
04-17-2006, 04:50 AM
ABS is fine for plumbing reefs, all your powerheads amongst many other components are made of ABS plastic.

Yes, it is not approved for potable water use in the house, but that doesn't mean it's reef unsafe. Just like CPVC (grey pvc - found in the electrical aisle) is also reef safe.

Andy

If you go to the trouble and expence to make ro/di water for your reef, why would you want to use material that is not rated for potable water?

I realize that it might not kill stuff, but it's not going to help anything either.

seashells
04-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Stick with flex or & ridged PVC. You need the right primer & glue for each!!!!!!!!!!!

Willow
04-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Stick with flex or & ridged PVC. You need the right primer & glue for each!!!!!!!!!!!

can you use the same primer and glue for schd 40 (white) as schd 80 (grey)?

aquanot
04-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Yes.

AndyL
04-17-2006, 05:35 AM
If you go to the trouble and expence to make ro/di water for your reef, why would you want to use material that is not rated for potable water?

I realize that it might not kill stuff, but it's not going to help anything either.

Why would one not use material that is already in each and every one of our reefs - simply because it's not rated for potable water?

If our powerhead's housings are made out of ABS plastic, and we know those are safe in our tank... Why can one not use that same material for plumbing? There are many tanks out there using ABS plumbing...

muck
04-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Most Bulkheads are made of ABS aw well.
Its a myth that ABS will leech chemicals into your water.

aquanot
04-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Some black plastic items are made from PVC. ABS is meant for drainage,is not pressure rated,toxic when burns or gets too hot. DO NOT USE ANY POWERTOOLS TO CUT OR HEAT TO SHAPE OR FORM IT! If you don't believe me ,get the manufacture's specs for the product and glue and WHIMIS sheets for your own safety.

seashells
04-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Use can use the same glue for Sch 40/80. Make sure it is for PVC. Many people have good success painting their pvc.

Doug

niloc16
04-17-2006, 07:43 AM
does any white pvc work, or is there something special

StirCrazy
04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
ABS is meant for drainage,is not pressure rated

Bingo, we can use it on our tanks as the PSI in our systems is low and we do not have to worry about a pressure rating. as mentioned befor skimmer, ca reactors, bulkheads, tank trim, plastic light housings, ect all is made of ABS or has ABS in it. not a problem for our use.

Steve