PDA

View Full Version : Fragging coral and breeding fish??

Stab_Master_Arson
04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Okay, Stupid question but how do you properly frag coral?

Can you frag any coral or is it just collonies?

Secondly, can somebody point me to a good book, hopefully available in the vancouver area, that talks about breeding marine fish and shrimp.

Thanks.

G1GY
04-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Okay, Stupid question but how do you properly frag coral?

Can you frag any coral or is it just collonies?

Methods of fragging can be as different as each coral that you wish to frag. There is no "one way to frag everything.".

Some are easy as it can be, while you run the risk of killing others by fragging. Best bet would be to ask the question on each coral and maybe do some research. :)

albert_dao
04-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Bone shears, scissors, hammer/chisel and Dremel tool are the ones I work with for the different types of corals.

As far as technique goes, you'll find lots of info at www.garf.org. You'll just have to bear with the mad family cheese that permeates the entire site.

Personally, I just look at a coral, evaluate whether or not I can even make frags then "go at it". Most corals can take pretty severe abuse.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Bone shears or wire cutters for sps that are branching.

Hammer & chisel or flat-head screwdriver for breaking up LR with mushrooms or zoos.

Lee Valley Super-T cyano acrylate glue for gluing the frags onto small chunks of LR.

Anthony

TheReefGeek
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Post the corals you are interested in fragging, the methods vary according to what type of coral it is.

eg. the methods already mentioned for SPS frags vs. a simple exacto knife or razor blade for fragging softies.

Willow
04-17-2006, 06:57 PM
tile saws for acans.

Pan
04-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Bone shears, scissors, hammer/chisel and Dremel tool are the ones I work with for the different types of corals.

As far as technique goes, you'll find lots of info at www.garf.org. You'll just have to bear with the mad family cheese that permeates the entire site.

Personally, I just look at a coral, evaluate whether or not I can even make frags then "go at it". Most corals can take pretty severe abuse.

mad family cheese?